Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

Yes, I have -- and I'm fascinated with all your stories above.  I keep coming back to read.   I've been a believer since a kid and have always read ghost stories and books about the paranormal (which probably just adds to my feelings - ha!).  

My father saw an all-gray man at the foot of his bed when he was about 13 and they stared at each other until the man walked away and Dad fell back to sleep.  Dad mentioned it to his mother years later and she admitted she'd also seen the gray man a few times in that house.    My dad is now 99 and still lives in the house I grew up in -- he told me once that he thinks my mom, who passed in the 90's, visited him occasionally shortly after she died.  I guess she was checking up to see how he was doing. 

I had experiences in my parents' house when I was a teenager.  My husband and I have both had experiences in our current house.  We laugh about them - what else can you do? - and when we can't find something, like the scissors or a book, we blame "our ghost."   Lights come on in the middle of the night... doors we closed and locked the night before are standing open in the morning...  mysterious bangs coming from the basement....  Obviously, somebody is trying to get our attention.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:
@Puppy Lips wrote:
Wow, lots of cool stories here. Personally, like one of the early posters, I got “pennies from Heaven”. I have always found a lot of coins on the ground. I guess I look down a lot when walking. Anyway, after my father’s funeral three years ago, my husband and I were at a middle school for my son’s band contest. Walking down the hallway, my husband almost stepped on a bright shiny penny. I picked it up and it was dated 2016. Not long after that, at a different school for another band event, I was backstage and found another penny, and this one was dated the year my son was born. I found many other pennies since then and I always think they are from my Dad. In his younger days, my Dad flew small airplanes. My sister spotted a bananza shortly after he died. You don’t see those very often and it was one of his favorite airplanes. I think my Dad found ways to reach out to both of us. My brother, who is an atheist, firmly believes that my Dad is just gone, which I can not fathom. If he got any signs he surely would not realize it. Also, I knew a guy who did see a spirit at a bed and breakfast he ran. I believed him when he told me about it.

I agree - He probably would not.  I  think people who are open to it are more likely to notice things when they happen.  It's not always big, dramatic events.  Sometimes it's more subtle.  And unmistakable.

@Puppy Lips  This is an example of what the well known psychiatrist Carl Jung called "synchronicity".  And yes, he was a believer in it.

I have had hundreds, if not thousands of examples of this type of thing happen to me.  The older I got, the more and more I noticed it.

But, as @NYC Susan says, you do have to be "open" to it.  

Again, it is part of your internal world.  The Celts called this place "the Other World", or Annwn, or Avalon.

I will not say there's nothing to it.  At the same time, I know of people who made pacts to make contact after they died, and never did! 

I do feel that one can go overboard with it, if not careful. 

Scientifically, I believe that there is some research into the malleability of genes, that could explain remembering places you've never been to, especially when associated with great trauma.  This is truly fascinating. 

Honored Contributor

I've never experienced any paranormal activity, but I don't doubt other's experiences one bit. 

I'm enjoy reading the different posts.  I also enjoy shows on tv such as Ghost Adventures, etc.

I suggest watching Paranomal Caught on Camera on the Travel channel.  The show has actual recordings of unexplained activity.

Honored Contributor

I can't say I don't "believe" in it, just as I can't say I don't believe in other things that haven't been scientifically documented.  I think, as humans, we will always be limited in our ability to understand ALL of what the Universe holds.

One thing that happened to me several years ago still makes me cue the Twilight Zone music when I think of it, although I don't know whether it was "paranormal" or not.

I have a beautiful old music box that my parents bought in Italy when we were on vacation when I was 12.  It is a very pretty thing, with lovely wood inlay work and stands a foot and a half high, a small table.  It sits my entryway.  Years before I moved in this house the music box just stopped playing - it's wind up and I tried many times and it was just not happening.

After being in this house for several years I was sitting on the couch one evening and the music box just started to play.  I had not tried the start it up and hadn't tried in years.  I was pretty startled by it.  It played for maybe a minute (or maybe it was 30 seconds, I don't know exactly) and stopped.  I tried to wind it up again a few times.  Nothing.

If this was my mother or father trying to contact me I have no idea what the purpose would be, but it has always made me wonder how it happened.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I've never experienced any paranormal activity, but I don't doubt other's experiences one bit. 

I'm enjoy reading the different posts.  I also enjoy shows on tv such as Ghost Adventures, etc.

I suggest watching Paranomal Caught on Camera on the Travel channel.  The show has actual recordings of unexplained activity.

@San Antonio Gal  You and I are of like mind...I could have written your post Smiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

This may or may not be considered paranormal.

Back in 2015, my husband and I were house hunting and as soon as we walked into one house, I immediately felt uncomfortable and had this creepy feeling. I can't explain why but all I know was that I did not want to be alone in that house.

Who knows....maybe someone was murdered or committed suicide there or simply a family that was dysfunctional or NONE of those. My husband did not pick up on any of those feelings. In fact, he was willing to live there if I wanted to. NO WAY!

It was bizarre because I never had that happen to me before. Obviously we did not move to that house. We found another that we both liked.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's documented that we use a very small part of our brain.  Certainly our evolution has made use of areas of our brain that we no longer use because our environment is different.  But sensitivities were/are present for survival and information.  And as individuals every person is unique in their capacity to perceive the world and beyond.  It's not fair to say that things can only become real when science has discovered and identified it.  DNA fingerprinting is now a tool, which was unheard of some decades ago.  Some things are not accepted as real until science has a way of identifying it.  Another good example is air density.  The higher the elevation the less air there is.  You don't need science to experience lack of air as you gain altitude.  You need science to measure and regulate that fact. Just because you always lived at sea level, it doesn't mean air density is the same high up.

I'm glad the term "clairempathy" was brought up earlier here, since I never knew what to call the experience I had.  I live on the west coast.  I was in between jobs and had a routine of waking up around 7:00 a.m.  On this particular morning I woke up at 6:00.  I remember looking at the clock to see if it was 7:00 and time to get up.  I was suddenly overwhelmed with a wave of feeling dread, anguish, dispair, panic, and fear, like a hunted animal probably feels.  I got up right away and went into the TV room where my husband was watching the news.  The telecast was live.  It was September 11 and the South Tower had just been hit.  I immediately understood my feelings.

I've been receptive to other instances of premonitions and visitations which always brought a positive outcome soon after.

Esteemed Contributor

@San Antonio Gal-- two thumbs up for Paranormal Caught On Camera.  One of my favorites!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

My father passed away before my son was born.He always wanted a male grandchild but I told him I would have a girl.My son who is adopted was born with the same blue eyes as my dad and there were none in his immediate family.When my son was three he told me that an old man with blue eyes came always into his room at night and that he was afraid.I asked him what the man was doing and he said just staring at him.

Honored Contributor

No, I have no belief in paranormal experiences and consider them just circumstantial.

I think some believe in them because they bring them comfort from the afterlife. So I think they have their place in some people's lives just not in mine......