Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

@jazzed wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

I am mystified by those that 'don’t believe' in other worldly activity.  Ghosts/spirits/manifestations are as real as we are. There is so much existing that is not perceived by the senses we experience in this body.

Some are loved ones needing assurance and a final goodbye before they leave for the continuing journey we are all on. Some are lost souls. Some are mischievous troublemakers. Some are quite sinister.  

@jazzed , it's one thing to have your feelings about this but quite another to wonder the reason that some people don't share them.

Essentially you are asking a person like me to join you in a belief that cannot be proved. 

That's okay, you don't have to join me. I said I was mystified.

I didn't mention magic, supernatural powers, crystals or new age spiritualism. 

Or science. 

I do think these experiences are purely subjective.  They exist in one's own mind, and no one else's, which is why no one else ever sees them.  And why it is so hard to convince other's of what one has experienced in one's own mind.  

However, this is a part of our make-up and goes back many thousands of years to primitive times and primitive feelings. 

So for that much I agree with you @suzyQ3, but for part II of your statement   "And finally, I think that the proliferation of beliefs in all sorts of other worldly occurrences -- whether they be magic, or supernatural powers, or crystals, or any New Age-type spiritualism --  have played a big part in our decreasing interest in and knowledge of science" is inaccurate.  

These beliefs pre-date all scientific discovery.  And it is proven beyond doubt that much of that scientific discovery was directly related to validating or invalidating, or merely exploring beliefs in otherwordly occurrences.  Isn't there a scientific explanation for most of it?

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

I am mystified by those that 'don’t believe' in other worldly activity.  Ghosts/spirits/manifestations are as real as we are. There is so much existing that is not perceived by the senses we experience in this body.

Some are loved ones needing assurance and a final goodbye before they leave for the continuing journey we are all on. Some are lost souls. Some are mischievous troublemakers. Some are quite sinister.  

@jazzed , it's one thing to have your feelings about this but quite another to wonder the reason that some people don't share them.

Essentially you are asking a person like me to join you in a belief that cannot be proved. 

Or science. 

I do think these experiences are purely subjective.  They exist in one's own mind, and no one else's, which is why no one else ever sees them.  And why it is so hard to convince other's of what one has experienced in one's own mind.  

However, this is a part of our make-up and goes back many thousands of years to primitive times and primitive feelings. 

So for that much I agree with you @suzyQ3, but for part II of your statement   "And finally, I think that the proliferation of beliefs in all sorts of other worldly occurrences -- whether they be magic, or supernatural powers, or crystals, or any New Age-type spiritualism --  have played a big part in our decreasing interest in and knowledge of science" is inaccurate.  

These beliefs pre-date all scientific discovery.  And it is proven beyond doubt that much of that scientific discovery was directly related to validating or invalidating, or merely exploring beliefs in otherwordly occurrences.  Isn't there a scientific explanation for most of it?

Excellent post, @GrailSeeker. I think that we differ only on that one aspect: There are studies that show that recently the interest in and acceptance of the "paranormal" has increased, while the knowledge, respect, and interest in science has decreased.

Even if this is a coincidence, it disturbs me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Yes. Just this week as a matter of fact. I am not interested in sharing details with those who are unwilling to accept the possibility of my reality.

I will say this--we seem to be bridging the gap between science and spirituality. Anyone who has recently worked with medical professionals in the care of a terminal loved one probably knows this. 

I personally appreciate these overlapping philosopies and am happy when  we can respect one another's belief systems keeping an open mind to...perhaps.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

Or science. 

Excellent post, @GrailSeeker. I think that we differ only on that one aspect: There are studies that show that recently the interest in and acceptance of the "paranormal" has increased, while the knowledge, respect, and interest in science has decreased.

Some of these experiences have occurred physically and not in anyone's mind.  Often more than one person experiences the same thing at the same time.

If two or more people see or hear the same thing at the same time, it would not just be in their minds.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

Or science. 

Some of these experiences have occurred physically and not in anyone's mind.  Often more than one person experiences the same thing at the same time.

If two or more people see or hear the same thing at the same time, it would not just be in their minds.

Yes.  I have experienced a series of things that were also seen by someone else.  And I think other posters here have mentioned also that they were not alone in what they had seen.

And sometimes it's far less dramatic than others.  It's not always noises in the night or objects flying around a room.  In some cases it's just a simple small event that has specific meaning, is clearly not just coincidence, and has no reasonable explanation.

I have never tried to talk anyone into believing.  People either do or they don't, and I respect that.

Respected Contributor

For decades I was a regular listener to Art Bell's "Coast to Coast" program overnight. Frequently people would call in with tales of ghosts. Im still hopeful to see a ghost of my deceased parents but so far I have not experienced the phenomena. Has anyone here seen a ghost ?

Regular Contributor

I saw the oven door gently open about halfway, the light come on inside, and then close again. My family and I were sitting in the living room across from the kitchen when this happened. It was as if someone was checking on the progress of something baking, although nothing was in the oven, and no one was in the kitchen. My family heard the distinct sound of it opening and closing, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, lots of cool stories here. Personally, like one of the early posters, I got “pennies from Heaven”. I have always found a lot of coins on the ground. I guess I look down a lot when walking. Anyway, after my father’s funeral three years ago, my husband and I were at a middle school for my son’s band contest. Walking down the hallway, my husband almost stepped on a bright shiny penny. I picked it up and it was dated 2016. Not long after that, at a different school for another band event, I was backstage and found another penny, and this one was dated the year my son was born. I found many other pennies since then and I always think they are from my Dad. In his younger days, my Dad flew small airplanes. My sister spotted a bananza shortly after he died. You don’t see those very often and it was one of his favorite airplanes. I think my Dad found ways to reach out to both of us. My brother, who is an atheist, firmly believes that my Dad is just gone, which I can not fathom. If he got any signs he surely would not realize it. Also, I knew a guy who did see a spirit at a bed and breakfast he ran. I believed him when he told me about it.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:
Wow, lots of cool stories here. Personally, like one of the early posters, I got “pennies from Heaven”. I have always found a lot of coins on the ground. I guess I look down a lot when walking. Anyway, after my father’s funeral three years ago, my husband and I were at a middle school for my son’s band contest. Walking down the hallway, my husband almost stepped on a bright shiny penny. I picked it up and it was dated 2016. Not long after that, at a different school for another band event, I was backstage and found another penny, and this one was dated the year my son was born. I found many other pennies since then and I always think they are from my Dad. In his younger days, my Dad flew small airplanes. My sister spotted a bananza shortly after he died. You don’t see those very often and it was one of his favorite airplanes. I think my Dad found ways to reach out to both of us. My brother, who is an atheist, firmly believes that my Dad is just gone, which I can not fathom. If he got any signs he surely would not realize it. Also, I knew a guy who did see a spirit at a bed and breakfast he ran. I believed him when he told me about it.

I agree - He probably would not.  I  think people who are open to it are more likely to notice things when they happen.  It's not always big, dramatic events.  Sometimes it's more subtle.  And unmistakable.

Respected Contributor

in a word,  YES