Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

I would call that "acceptance"-but let's change that to "clearing the mind"....just try it-you have nothing to lose.  You are just focusing on the simple act of breathing-nothing more.

It may not be as easy for you as it sounds-and I am not a doctor-I don't know you at all-but the whole point of this exercise is to simply clear your mind by focusing on your breath: nothing more is required.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Yes, always  come back to watching your breath as the thoughts come, as they inevitably will .  The longer you practice the better it gets.

I must say that I did not appreciate it when you said that my "way" was a pointless exercise.

That's all.

Peace to you and all here.

Respected Contributor

Kittylou, please accept my apology: I meant no offense. I should have worded it differently, and I meant no malice. Let's "hug it out"

Peace and Joy to you,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Kittylou, please accept my apology: I meant no offense. I should have worded it differently, and I meant no malice. Let's "hug it out"

Peace and Joy to you,

Poodlepet2

Thank you, Poodlepet2.  You know, I think we both were talking about essentially the same thing, that focusing on your breath is the essence of the practice.   I am sorry if I misunderstood the intent of your words.

Hugs to you.  

Respected Contributor

That's very difficult for me to do sometimes.  I've tried meditation but somehow intrusive thoughts creep back in.  

What I've learned is as soon as my mind starts to wander, I start all over with my relaxing thoughts.   I have trained myself to do an internal reset every time an intrusive thought takes over.   It's not a perfect system, but it helps.  

Interesting thread...

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

That's very difficult for me to do sometimes.  I've tried meditation but somehow intrusive thoughts creep back in.  

What I've learned is as soon as my mind starts to wander, I start all over with my relaxing thoughts.   I have trained myself to do an internal reset every time an intrusive thought takes over.   It's not a perfect system, but it helps.  

Interesting thread...

People who teach meditation will tell you that as soon as you notice your mind wandering that you bring your thoughts back to your breath.  It's practice, practice, practice.  Those people I've spoken with who are just beginning a meditation practice have told me "but I just can't stop the thoughts running through my head".  Then they become frustrated and stop, rather than seeing that the thoughts are inevitable.  As soon as you notice them you bring your focus back to your breath.  You may have to do this numerous times during a meditation session.  It's part of the process.

Meditation is simple.  But it's not easy.

Respected Contributor

Kittylou, exactly! We are on the same page! I still remember how victorious I felt when I was able to stop all thoughts-and just breathe....My whole day changed and I had this incredible sense of peace.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Kittylou, exactly! We are on the same page! I still remember how victorious I felt when I was able to stop all thoughts-and just breathe....My whole day changed and I had this incredible sense of peace.

Poodlepet2

YAY!!

I think my misunderstanding was related to the idea (that I've heard from other people) that you have to sit and think about not thinking about what you're thinking about.

hahaha.

Kind of like, "Pay no attention to the giant green lizard sitting on the floor"

Honored Contributor

What do you do when you wake up in the morning and a song like "Tiptoe through the tulips" starts running around in your head when you haven't thought of that song in 30 years???

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

What do you do when you wake up in the morning and a song like "Tiptoe through the tulips" starts running around in your head when you haven't thought of that song in 30 years???

@LilacTree wrote:

You sing along to it until you're sick of it.

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Have To Share!!

[ Edited ]

Maybe it's more like:

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right."  Can't remember who that quote goes to.

Have you read, The Feeling Good Handbook, by David D. Burns, M.D. ?

It's an oldie but a goodie!!!