Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone seen the movie Black Mass?

Hi, Has anyone seen the movie Black Mass? We are thinking of going to see it. It's not really my type of movie, but I want to see Johnny Depp because I think that he is an amazing actor! (There is already Oscar buzz because of his performance). So I am just wondering if anyone saw it, and what you thought of the movie?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone seen the movie Black Mass?

My daughter saw it yesterday which surprised me as this is not generally her type of movie.  She raved about Johnny Depp's performance and said we should go.  DH and I plan to go Thursday.  Several,of our friends have recommended it too.  Will post a review Thursday if you go first please do the same.  Thanks

Respected Contributor

I saw it this past weekend with my husband.  He wanted to see it more than I did, but I did enjoy it.  It is an excellent story, even though I had a hard time following the details (for example, why did a certain character do what he did?).

JD did an amazing job, and I will be surprised if he does not get a nomination.  He transformed himself into the character physically psychologically.  You could not see JD in that character at all.

There is some violence, but not as graphic as I expected.  There is a fair amount of people getting beat up (and the physical aftermath of that beating).  Lots of people get shot.

I'd recommend it, with the caviat that if you are particularly squimish about people behaving badly, you might want to skip.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

I have always been interested in this story and I will definitely see it. It is amazing to me how the FBI literally let this fool run around for years. protecting him while he was free to commit murder after murder. The govt even had to pay families of the deceased for their responsibility in their deaths. It is disgusting that so little is said about that.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies. If we go, we will more than likely go on the weekend. I will check back to see if there are any more replies.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I will be seeing the movie this weekend as well.  I'm especially interested to see how they handle one particular scene in the film, as that is what I believe to be Bulger's most despicable crime, and one that has always really angered me.  It may be the one you're referring to @Peaches McPhee, but I won't include any spoilers here of course. Anyway, Nicholson's character "Frank Costello" in Scorsese's brilliant film The Departed was also loosely based on Bulger.  And if you love mob flicks and JD, and somehow managed to miss 1997's Donnie Brasco, that should be the next film you see. 

Valued Contributor

Loved the movie, I am from the Boston area, no phony accents.  They nailed it.  All actors were fabulous.................Dakota Johnson was so believable.  Johnny Depp was Bulger.

Honored Contributor

Not yet, I'm looking forward to it.  I recently attending a book discussion group with Howie Carr who was targeted for death by Whitey.  Fascinating stuff......

Respected Contributor

I too want to see this movie.  Sounds very good.  Thanks for the reviews!

Respected Contributor

Haven't seen it, but I'm going to...........did read an article where Whitey Bulger isn't happy with Depp playing him and didn't think Depp portrayed him in a good light............which is an interesting question, how do you play a stone cold killer in a good light...........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo