Honored Contributor

Yesterday my doorbell rings, it was about 5:00 pm. It was dark, I couldn’t see that well, I thought it might be a delivery, so I opened the door. It was a man and his teenage son going through a whole spiel about raising money for college. He wanted a $50 donation, which is a lot of money to give someone I have never seen. I said I couldn’t afford it. He then said my neighbor gave $25, could I give the other $25, or $10. I told him I give a lot to different charities, but I just can’t do it. I was sorry I answered the door, and also felt guilty about not giving any money. Would you give money to someone you didn’t know?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has This Happened To You

@Jordan2  Of course not!

I wouldn't even have opened the door!

Respected Contributor

NEVER, and I would not even answer the door unless I was expecting someone over. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Yesterday my doorbell rings, it was about 5:00 pm. It was dark, I couldn’t see that well, I thought it might be a delivery, so I opened the door. It was a man and his teenage son going through a whole spiel about raising money for college. He wanted a $50 donation, which is a lot of money to give someone I have never seen. I said I couldn’t afford it. He then said my neighbor gave $25, could I give the other $25, or $10. I told him I give a lot to different charities, but I just can’t do it. I was sorry I answered the door, and also felt guilty about not giving any money. Would you give money to someone you didn’t know?

Whether you are married or not I would've said, my husband says no (he's standing behind the door in case they're wondering) and then shut the door because you never know who they are could be legit but maybe dangerous.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I might give a dollar or two if I was in a good mood. But with a speech like that, I wouldn't give anything. The man probably wasn't his father but some scam artist who recruited him. You have nothing to apologize for. I don't open my door after dark. I also have a security door in addition to my regular door.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd call the local police......

Respected Contributor

I would never open the door to someone I was not expecting. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2  Why on earth would you feel guilty?

Ask your neighbor if they really gave $25.   Who leaves their door open to strangers while getting her purse, counting out the $ and handing it over?

And don't you have a light to flip on at your door?

You are lucky nothing came of this.  Seriously.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

have i given money to people i dont know? YES

would i answer the door to total strangers when it is dark outside? NO

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We open our door in good faith, not thinking.  You were totally right in listening to your inner voice.  Don't ever regret that.  You wouldn't haver had a hesitation if you felt safe and you felt they were trustworthy.Smiley Happy