Honored Contributor

Re: Has This Happened To You

I have no soliciting signs posted in several places so I no longer get beggars at my door. I use to get them prior to the signs.  To answer your question, no, I would not give them anything. 

Honored Contributor

Our city prohibits such actions unless a person or organization has a permit to solicit funds. If you city does also, I seriously doubt that this man had one.

Please don't ever open the door without knowing who is on the other side.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I’m going to repeat what others are saying, @Jordan2,just so you know how many of us would not have answered the door under the circumstances you describe.

I have given money to people I don’t know but would not have given money to that man and his supposed son and would not feel guilty at all.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely wouldn't give a cent to such people and would have chewed them out royally for ignoring my "no soliciting" sign.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Our town does not have police protection other than the State Police that drive through our town once in a while. They indeed will respond if you call them though. I never open the door to anyone I don't know, we are too isolated where I live. No one has ever come to the door asking for money and for anyone to go knocking on doors to ask people to fund someones college is just nuts.

Honored Contributor

I put up a 6' wrought iron fence with a locking gate.    My neighborhood is remote, and the highway bus doesn't even stop near here, and only runs during the day.     Got tired of people ringing my doorbell.........as late as 3 a.m.  "asking directions or wanting to use a phone".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Well, the question wasn’t really would you answer your door but if you’d give money. I’d say, hey I’ve got 4 kids to put through college-I should be asking YOU!  Have a great night!  And it never hurts to yell “Coming” to indicate someone else is there if you’re by yourself. 

I imagine the shock of being asked would make it hard to think though, huh?  That was so weird. 

Honored Contributor

I never answer the door if I don't know who it is.  Our door is always locked but I can see the porch through the blinds in another room.  So, no, I don't give money to anyone who just comes to the door.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Absolutely wouldn't give a cent to such people and would have chewed them out royally for ignoring my "no soliciting" sign.

Well that sounds very tough and brave, but I say BS.

You aren't going to chew out two men standing at your open door, at night, while you are alone. That's just plain foolhardy.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  Absolutely not.  And, don't open the door again.  There are all kinds of scams out around the holidays.  Never open the door to someone you don't know.  They could have a gun or knife.  Better be safe than sorry.  I would have never opened the door but you should not feel guilty.  If people don't have money for college, they can obtain grants if they are that poor.  If that wasn't a line of bull I don't know what is.      Cat Wink

kindness is strength