Honored Contributor

Prince Harry has spoken of his 'great sadness' at leaving the Royal Family and said he and Meghan had 'no other option' than to quit senior royal duties - but vowed the couple are 'not just walking away'.

The Duke of Sussex was at a formal private dinner at the Ivy in Chelsea for Sentebale, the charity supporting young people affect by HIV and Aids that he founded in 2006, when he made the comments.

In an emotional speech, the 35-year-old said the royal couple had hoped to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth and his military associations, without any public funding.

Insisting that the UK would always be his home, he maintained that his wife, Meghan, 'upholds the same values as I do' and was 'excited' and 'hopeful' about playing a full royal role after their wedding.

But he said now 'there really was no other option' but to step back – a decision which, he said, was 'not one I made lightly'.

The duke paid a stirring tribute to his grandmother, calling her his 'commander-in-chief' and that he was 'incredibly grateful' to Her Majesty and the rest of his family for supporting him and Meghan.

He said: 'Once Meghan and I were married, we were excited. We were hopeful and we were here to serve. For those reasons it brings me great sadness that it has come to this. 

'The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back is not one I made lightly.

It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges and I know I haven't always gotten it right but as far as this goes there really was no other option.

The Duke of Sussex was at a formal private dinner at the Ivy, in Chelsea, for vulnerable children's charity Sentebale, which founded in 2006, when he made the comments

In an emotional speech, the 35-year-old said the royal couple had hoped to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth and his military associations, without any public funding, but this was not possible

Harry paid a stirring tribute to his grandmother, calling her his 'commander-in-chief' and that he was 'incredibly grateful' to Her Majesty and the rest of his family for supporting him and Meghan - but insisted he and Meghan are 'not just walking away'

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I think the press constantly hounding and lying about the couple led to this.  Harry's most vivid memory of the press is what they did to his Mum.

I hope they get the peace they're seeking.  Hopefully, one day Harry will be back in the palace.

Honored Contributor

Re: Harry Speaks Out

[ Edited ]

@grandma r wrote:

I think the press constantly hounding and lying about the couple led to this.  Harry's most vivid memory of the press is what they did to his Mum.

I hope they get the peace they're seeking.  Hopefully, one day Harry will be back in the palace.

Agree.  And just to add to your last sentence, it is possible.  If they choose to become working royals again they are welcome, and they will once again use their HRH titles.  (According to CNN.)

Honored Contributor

I think it is sad that Harry felt he had no other option than to leave the royal family.I can’t imagine how this could be the only solution to his happiness.It seems when I read his reasoning that the problems are not too big that they couldn't be resolved.

Honored Contributor

Re: Harry Speaks Out

[ Edited ]

It is unfortunate that apparently they're tired of dealing with the press, it's unfortunate that the press cannot back off. However, how do you ditch your family like this especially when your Grandmother is the royalist of the royal in one's family. It's no wonder the Queen Mother is not at all pleased with their decision. What exactly do these two think is going to happen with all of this in Vancouver? Press people are everywhere. Harry & Meghan have not and are still not making this whole situation any easier on themselves, if anything they've called even more attention to themselves rather than staying and residing in GB with the rest of the clan.

Honored Contributor

I say watch what people do and don't listen to what they say.

I am officially no longer interested in what these two do or say.  To treat your family like this, get what you want then try to spin it in your favor?  Nope.  Don't care what else they have to say.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

I think it is sad that Harry felt he had no other option than to leave the royal family.I can’t imagine how this could be the only solution to his happiness.It seems when I read his reasoning that the problems are not too big that they couldn't be resolved.

There are always other options when people are willing to compromise and see each others point of view.  Sometimes people get caught up in what they want now, the bigger picture is not seen.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I realize that you can't help who you fall in love with...but I think he should have known about the consequences of his marriage to MM long before it happened. They made their bed.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I realize that you can't help who you fall in love with...but I think he should have known about the consequences of his marriage to MM long before it happened. They made their bed.

What consequences? And why?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

People want to say it's all about the press, but I don't think so.  In fact, they've involved the press even more, and will continue to do so, indefinitely.  

It appears that where Royal duties are concerned, you're either ALL in, or ALL out.  You'd think there could be a little bit of wiggle room. I also suspect that Harry, being the grandson of the Queen thought the same.  This is what created the huge divide and discord between the brothers.   

No 'options' certainly emphasizes the constraints these folks operate under.  It's clear certain personalities could not endure such controls. But, none of this should have come as a surprise to this couple.  They need to stop blaming everyone else -- the press, the trolls, and the naysayers, because it's only just begun, largely because of their own behaviors.