Honored Contributor

Re: Harry Speaks Out

[ Edited ]

Yes I agree...he sounds rather resigned to the fact that  he had no choice, he had to leave. I can’t imagine there would not be some type of agreement that could have been less than stepping out of their duties completely and paying back the Frogmore renovations. Does anyone know when these changes take effect? All the official statement said was “ spring”.

I hope Harry isn’t expecting less attention from the press now. I am sure it will be even more now....same for Meghan although I don’t think she is going to be the Hollywood sensation she fancies herself to be. Also, her father just needs to stop talking to the press. Period.

Honored Contributor

Harry has given up everything; Meghan, nothing.  I think she has been calling the shots and leading him around by the nose.  I fully expect this marriage to eventually fail.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I realize that you can't help who you fall in love with...but I think he should have known about the consequences of his marriage to MM long before it happened. They made their bed.

On the contrary, I think this is what Harry has been planning for a long time.  He knew years ago that he was not up to the job of being a royal.  He's a rogue.  The other women he dated thought they were going to live the life of a princess and he had other plans.  That's why those relationships did not work out.  He married later in life when he started looking for a wife in other places.  He finally met his match when he found a woman who didn't know about living like a royal and had the guts to stand up to the crown.

He tried to change the rules on his own and in his favor.  He found out that The Crown won't be manipulated.  QE2 has put her foot down and made him an example.

I think comments like "the Queen has put her foot down" miss the mark.  They really haven't lost much if you think about it. Still have Frogmore, still called Duke and Duchess, still receive millions from Charles, still participate in charities...Sure, they have to pay back Frogmore renovation costs, but it's probably going to come from Charles. Sure, Harry loses military titles, but it's not like he was planning to use them or represent the military (other than dress up in uniform) anyway. Sure, they lose HRH title, but Diana showed how one can continue without it.  They will also reassess the plan after one year.  Doesn't seem like the Queen really put her foot down at all.  

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette 

I agree.  I also think they don't want to escape the press.  They both very much like being public people and if it's true that they want to build a charitable foundation and do good works and also brand themselves and make make money......they will need press coverage.  They will need to be the "it couple" that everyone is following.  It's the rabid tabloid press that has dogged Meghan and been brutal, nasty and cruel that they want to flee from.  Americans who haven't been to the UK or haven't had UK friends forward  articles to them don't know anything about that, they don't even know what the tabloids in the UK are.  They hear tabloid and thing National Enquirer.  I think Harry should be more open about that and stop saying "press" and stop linking it all to his mother's death.  The situations are not the same.  But it's early days and perhaps that unfold.   

Honored Contributor

They gave the press gold by preaching about saving the planet, reducing one's carbon footprint and then took four private jet flights in 11 days. Meghan's extravagant maturnity wardrobe that cost over half a million, more than twice what Kate, whose husband is a future king, paid for hers. There were more missteps and it seems they gave no thought to how their choices would be seen. Just when things went positive for them, the Africa trip, they ruined it with that I'll advised interview.

Honored Contributor
Just my own opinion but I think Harry said he had no choice because Meghan gave him an ultimatum: she was moving back to Canada with Archie, with or without Harry. The besotted prince didnt want to lose her or his family life so "he has no choice."
Honored Contributor

Re: Harry Speaks Out

[ Edited ]

While I'm reluctant to post on another Sussex thread that will ultimately be shut down based on whim or bias, I'll simply note that where Harrry's speech is concerned, actions speak louder than words.

Neither of them had what it would take to stand the test of time and come out of it successfully. On top of that, either individually or collectively, they clearly both have other agendas. I'm just as happy not to have them so much in the public eye, but don't think it'll work out that way and don't actually believe for a minute that's what they really want. Both pushing forty and now they want to be 'independent', yet by most accounts will continue to enjoy funding from Charles.

If Harry legitimately no longer wants to be 'royal' one might understand that but I guess I find the timing, after his marriage and the birth of a child, suspect. Diana's fate increasingly seems like a convenient excuse. The British media might not have embraced Markle, but neither were they routinely chasing her through the streets in speeding cars.

Personally, I have little respect for them, the choice they made or the way they went about making their plans. The less I hear about them going forward the better I'll like it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Meghan’s father is making a fool of himself with his comments to the media. Meghan and Harry both must cringe when they see him Her mother has show real class by staying out of their spotlight, attending the wedding alone, and basically allowing her daughter to make her own mistakes without her interfering. It is not an easy task as a parent, but she is doing it with class. I admire her.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Yes I agree...he sounds rather resigned to the fact that  he had no choice, he had to leave. I can’t imagine there would not be some type of agreement that could have been less than stepping out of their duties completely and paying back the Frogmore renovations. Does anyone know when these changes take effect? All the official statement said was “ spring”.

I hope Harry isn’t expecting less attention from the press now. I am sure it will be even more now....same for Meghan although I don’t think she is going to be the Hollywood sensation she fancies herself to be. Also, her father just needs to stop talking to the press. Period.

@lovesrecess 

Their staff at Frogmore has already been let go.

As to her father needs to stop talking, he's been subpoenaed by the 'press' in Meghan's lawsuit against them, as that trial looms near.

His emails and correspondence with Harry and Meghan were subpoenaed too, most never seen before.

He could've sold those to the press in the past, but he didn't, now he has no choice but to turn them over.

I'm in no way taking up for her father and her half sister has been vicious to them, but as far as this lawsuit, her father has no choice but reveal all related info to the court.

Interestingly enough, it's been reported that as Royals, H & M could not have been subpoenaed to testify in court.

But now, who knows......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

It's almost comical, if it wasn't also so sad. So many seem to have it settled in their head about another couple's marriage, feelings, and intent. 

The fact is, no one knows what's behind the doors of anyone's relationship.  Add to that the enormous scrutiny these two are always under.   The press & public have pure gold for innuendo and gossip.  

How would any of our relationships look to the outside world, judging everything we do under a microscope? Some of the press started from a place of near hatred of Meghan, and left it up to her to grovel for acceptance in their eyes.  What did she actually do that was horrible?  

Royal family or not, they will never escape the people who will always be happy to see this young could stumble & fall at every turn.  Sad.