Valued Contributor

Re: Harrison - pls ground yourself

It doesn't sound like he should be flying until some decision is made.  I wouldn't want to be near him while he's in a plane. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri21 wrote:

It doesn't sound like he should be flying until some decision is made.  I wouldn't want to be near him while he's in a plane. 

Agree; he should be grouded until this latest incident is sorted out.  He may be, I only saw a small news clip last night.

Honored Contributor

It looks like he'll be grounded for more than a while if for nothing else an FAA backlog:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/15/harrison-ford-faa-investigation-delayed/

After looking at the aerial shot, I would hope they do take a good look at this as an experienced pilot as Harrison is he should be able to determine the difference between the taxiway and the runway.

Honored Contributor

I thought this was interesting:

"Ford’s incident actually isn’t that uncommon an occurrence, especially at certain airports.

FAA briefs have stated that common underlying causes of similar errors include the taxiway being the dominant visual feature from the air (usually based on its width or visual contrast from the color of the pavement), a taxiway having squared instead of rounded edges and natural lighting conditions, like sun glare or haze, which can hinder a pilot’s positive runway identification."

http://pagesix.com/2017/02/15/faa-begins-investigation-into-harrison-ford-plane-incident/?_ga=1.1565...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

It looks like he'll be grounded for more than a while if for nothing else an FAA backlog:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/15/harrison-ford-faa-investigation-delayed/

After looking at the aerial shot, I would hope they do take a good look at this as an experienced pilot as Harrison is he should be able to determine the difference between the taxiway and the runway.

I don't know if he is automatically grounded or if he is free to fly until they decide the outcome of his case. Not sure how it works, but something seems to have distracted his judgement in this particular situation. I hope they look closely at this situation also.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No one is blaming him for the accident that happened a few years ago.  But this recent incident is huge.  Can you imagine if he would have landed on top of that American flight?  Can you imagine if he would have landed as that American flight taxied the runway and they hit each other?

Yes he was given landing instructions, apparently became confused and ended up on a taxiway.  Okay mistakes can happen and some airports are very confusing.  But when he's landing and sees a passenger plane sitting there he doesn't think OMG?  He radioed and asked if it was supposed to be there.  The pilots in the American Airline plane saw him fly right overhead.  

Everyone is very, very lucky this didn't end worse. 

Some airports are a lot more confusing then others.  A few years back, a study was done about the most confusing airports for taxiing and landing and Cleveland Hopkins was one cited at the most confusing to navigate. That is the airport I fly out of.

Within the last couple of months, an air traffic controller made a huge mistakes and had 2 planes on the same path that could have ended in major casualties.  I know she was suspended. I wonder what ever happended with her?  

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I don't think you all are being quite fair.  That incident a couple of years ago with the very, very old plane was due to the plane's mechanical failure.  As the article in the link points out near the end, Ford received high praise for even having been able to land the disabled plane, and away from any place where someone else got hurt.  It's a miracle he was able to land and survived that - the crash wasn't his fault.

That said, at age 74 he maybe should stop piloting planes.  It will be interesting to see whether the FAA suspends his license.

IMHO, when you are in charge of what is essentially a flying bomb, and you are putting many lives at risk, "fair" isn't exactly the side on which the authorities should err.  His next big mistake could kill someone. 

@PurpleBunny  Reread my post.  My "fairness" comment was about the posters here on this thread.   I have confidence that that FAA investigation authorities will do the right thing but I wasn't talking about them and fairness.  You mjust have misread something about my post.   

No, I got it. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I don't think you all are being quite fair.  That incident a couple of years ago with the very, very old plane was due to the plane's mechanical failure.  As the article in the link points out near the end, Ford received high praise for even having been able to land the disabled plane, and away from any place where someone else got hurt.  It's a miracle he was able to land and survived that - the crash wasn't his fault.

That said, at age 74 he maybe should stop piloting planes.  It will be interesting to see whether the FAA suspends his license.

WE are being unfair @Pearlee ?

You just said the same thing others of us said 🤔

Just what I wrote, @Noel7   I think some of the posters put the blame on Ford for the 2015 accident too, which was unfair.  So yes, you read my post correctly.

Nope, not buying that cop out @Pearlee .  The issue that was introduced and discussed was that it might be time for Ford to ground himself. 

You scolded people for saying it but then turned around and said the same thing yourself.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

WE are being unfair @Pearlee ?

You just said the same thing others of us said 🤔

Just what I wrote, @Noel7   I think some of the posters put the blame on Ford for the 2015 accident too, which was unfair.  So yes, you read my post correctly.

Nope, not buying that cop out @Pearlee .  The issue that was introduced and discussed was that it might be time for Ford to ground himself. 

You scolded people for saying it but then turned around and said the same thing yourself.

@Noel7  As if I care whether you "buy" anything I post or not.   Nope, I don't.  Smiley Tongue

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I thought this was interesting:

"Ford’s incident actually isn’t that uncommon an occurrence, especially at certain airports.

FAA briefs have stated that common underlying causes of similar errors include the taxiway being the dominant visual feature from the air (usually based on its width or visual contrast from the color of the pavement), a taxiway having squared instead of rounded edges and natural lighting conditions, like sun glare or haze, which can hinder a pilot’s positive runway identification."

http://pagesix.com/2017/02/15/faa-begins-investigation-into-harrison-ford-plane-incident/?_ga=1.1565...

yes.  they are given a number and a letter to denote the runway which is painted large on it  - i'm not sure if taxiways are so labelled or just a different color pavement-  but he would have had the runway number/letter and it sounds like he repeated it back.John Wayne airport isn't exactly LAX !!!.  well, the FAA will figure it out.