Honored Contributor

Re: Handcuffing Disabled Kids

@151949 wrote:

I was reading an article about this subject on FB - the teacher was discussing a coworker of hers that had tried to hold a child who was  having a    meltdown like this and he head butted the teacher right in the chest and caused him to suffer a cardiac arrest. The paramedics tried to resuscitate him but he died. personally, I feel it is much more important to protect the innocent teachers and other children first then worry about the feeling of the child causing the disturbance.

I vaguely remember this story a few months ago.  I believe it was in a high school.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I was reading an article about this subject on FB - the teacher was discussing a coworker of hers that had tried to hold a child who was  having a    meltdown like this and he head butted the teacher right in the chest and caused him to suffer a cardiac arrest. The paramedics tried to resuscitate him but he died. personally, I feel it is much more important to protect the innocent teachers and other children first then worry about the feeling of the child causing the disturbance.

I vaguely remember this story a few months ago.  I believe it was in a high school.

I would not doubt there are teachers that leave the profession because it can be dangerous. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I doubt it ever happened.  Urban myth.  I googled it and nothing, but I did find stories about a teacher taking an axe to a student's privates.

Should we use that teacher to represent all teachers?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've seen several videos recently, along with the stories, of teachers being physically attacked by students.

It's obscene what teachers are exposed to and expected to put up with.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I've seen several videos recently, along with the stories, of teachers being physically attacked by students.

It seems it's worse for the kids, what with axe assaults and the sexual predators teaching in schools.

Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

This might be the one I'm thinking about.  But it seems to me that there was one where a teacher died.

The point I'm trying to make is that no one should second guess the reasons a teacher or school does what they do unless you know the extent of a child's violence and or the rules of that school.  Where I worked, if you access the situation as too dangerous after trying to bring the child, you call security.  If they can't calm the child down, the police will be called.  Some schools have part time police already working there.  Also, you might have been told by your principal not to put your hands on the child during a fight  therefore your only recourse is to evacuate the room as quickly as possible.

No training you should/could have gotten can can de-escalate all situations.  Some of these kids are on medication and it's not always taken correctly which makes them act worse because it's not balanced in their bodies.

If you put your hands on a student trying to protect the others and you get hurt, its on you.  Good luck trying to get disability. It will be considered your fault.  We had one situation where the parent tried to sue the teacher because her child that caused the whole situation got his finger hurt when the teacher "took the child down".  It's a no win situation really.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I doubt it ever happened.  Urban myth.  I googled it and nothing, but I did find stories about a teacher taking an axe to a student's privates.

Should we use that teacher to represent all teachers?

You know not everything oin life ends up on u tube. Not everyone grabs a cell phone in a crisis and records it. Some people even actually do something useful - like CPR.

Honored Contributor

I have to disagree that no one should question a teacher putting hands on a child.  All you have to do is google the issue and you will see there have been many cases of teachers sexually assaulting students.

Of course we must question when anyone puts their hands on a student or causes them harm.  There was a recent video of someone working at a school who tipped a diabled student out of his wheelchair onto the floor... on purpose.  That was clear in the video.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It seems it's worse for the kids, what with axe assaults and the sexual predators teaching in schools.

Axe assaults are not a daily happening.  Neither is sexual assualt.  Violent behaviors happens everyday.  Usually the ones that act out like this are never absent....perfect attendance.