Honored Contributor

Re: Handcuffing Disabled Kids

Regardless of the reason, no child should be permitted to terrorize a classroom. Children shouldn't have to leave their classroom to find a "safe" place, their classroom should be safe from the time they arrive at school until they leave at the end of the day.

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

occasionalrain - I have to disagree with you. Children who are special needs don't get the rules as we would. They don't have the mechanism in their brain that says STOP. If I had a nickel for every time I said "that is inappropriate" I'd be a bizillionaire! We did take action and did what was right for our son and family.  But your way of thinking just is unrealistic for a special needs child. 

Again, I am asking with sincerity...when you say special needs, is ADHD included in that?  I honestly don't know.   In my over 20 years dealing with the special needs community in our area, none were labled special needs based just on ADHD.  That's why I'm asking...I don't know if I'm missing something here.

Honored Contributor

I think people are forgetting that this teacher probably called for assistance when she had done all she could.  Students, as it sounds like this child was, act out several times a day, everyday.  The teacher has to find time to teach in between battles with this student.  If she is really unlucky, she has several like him.  The lesson plan for the day....half done.

I feel badly for the little boy and don't believe he should have been handcuffed but he HAD to be removed for the sake of the other students.

What would you do (this has happened) if your child kept coming home telling you that he/she didn't understand how to do her math because the teacher gave all of her attention to "Johnny" acting out all day?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

ADHD is by law deemed a disability

Honored Contributor

Yes, it is special needs, at least in the Bay Area.

ADHD usually includes a learning disability, also.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because the comment could be considered condescending by some

Esteemed Contributor

@Wsmom - sorry, I didn't know you directed that question to me - but I believe it was answered by someone else.

Respected Contributor

I was head butted and bounced around a room for more than 45 minutes by an 8 year old, while I was in the proscribed position for restraint as described by guatmum. The child weas never hurt in any way. We were  waiting for his psychiatrist to come w/Thorazine.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Justice4all - your answer was spot on. I lived through all of it - a nightmare! Hardest was finding the appropriate residence for our son. One must be very careful in choosing a facility and do their homework. We were fortunate in that we knew someone who did that for a living and lined up the places for us to visit. And, you are right, it is costly.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Agressive children do not belong in classrooms with normal children. No one special needs or not should be permitted to kick, hit, or throw things at others. Crying over a non injured restrainrd child while having no sympathy for the kicked teacher or the innocent children forced to witness their teacher being attacked is shameful.

There's something so distasteful to me about your use of the word "normal" here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland