Esteemed Contributor

NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – There’s a hidden risk with keeping hand sanitizer in your car, especially during the hot summer months.

Flammable liquids and direct sunlight can make it explode.

“It’s flammable and it’s an irritant,” said retired Dallas firefighter Sherrie Wilson. “When it’s venting and if it’s venting in a small space like a car, and vapor is released, it can explode.”

(courtesy: Western Lakes Fire District in Wisconsin)

The Texas Department of Public Safety is sharing a photo from firefighters with the Western Lakes Fire District in Wisconsin. It shows serious damage to the drivers side door of a car caused by “hand sanitizer igniting in a hot vehicle that reached 95 degrees Fahrenheit inside the vehicle.”

Wilson said pump bottles pose a greater risk because vapors can leak into a hot car creating a combustible environment.

“What happens with flammables, is they turn to vapor, and they vaporize into a confined space which was a car. And then if there was any introduction of static electricity and that could simply be somebody getting in and pulling down on a sweater or jacket or anything like that,” explained Wilson.

There are also concerns that leaving hand sanitizer in a hot car could make it less effective.

“If the alcohol evaporates, the hand sanitizer is less efficient. It is the alcohol that kills the germs,” said Dr. Mihaela C. Stefan with UTD’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.

The best advice experts have to offer, is simply carry the hand sanitizer with you.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

Wow - this is so good to know.  I don't keep it in my car, but my brother does.  I'll have to let him know.

Respected Contributor

@Marp 

THANKS!  Mine is in my car, but it is not hot here yet.  I will be more cautious knowing this and just take it in my bag from now on!  Yikes!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate the warning @Marp .  If this can happen in Wisconsin, I would think it's much more likely to happen in really hot places.  Guess I'd better remove that container in my car and stick with the itty bitty one in my purse. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Regular Contributor

There was another article or two saying that the threat of hand sanitizer exploding in a hot car is slim BUT the alcohol could evaporate so best not to leave it in a hot car.  The heat can destroy it's effectiveness.  Stay well everyone

Honored Contributor

I try to tell everyone I know this.

Thanks for your PSA, you are reaching far more people here than I am!

I believe it also compromises the efficacy of the santizer, too.  

Same goes for sunscreen, too.  Not that it causes fire, but loses efficacy.

Two very important products....!

Honored Contributor

It isn’t safe to keep anything in cars. 

Honored Contributor

I keep it in my purse.  I never used it when it first came out years ago.  Then it was announced years ago that you can build up a tolerance to it and it won't be effective.  I think I will Google that to see if that is true.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the warning. I have some in car and I will be getting it out. 

Respected Contributor

@Marp Thanks much for posting this!  I have canned hand sanitizer that I keep in my truck so I can clean up when I leave the grocery store.  My scatter brain never thought about it exploding here in the humid, hot days in Mississippi, thanks again.