Honored Contributor

Re: Ham, Turkey, Prime Rib, Lamb, Lobster, etc. etc....Tell Me About Your "Holiday Meal"!!

My niece ordered a 35 day aged 7 bone prime rib. She is a foodie and will be cooking it at my brother's place. I'm preparing an almond pear tart and some sides. There is always too much food.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ham, Turkey, Prime Rib, Lamb, Lobster, etc. etc....Tell Me About Your "Holiday Meal"!!

On 12/21/2014 Qwackertoo said:

I've never cooked prime rib in my life. Only eaten it out. Maybe I should try . . . but I should probably try the first time when it isn't a major holiday meal in case it turns out badly. Smiley Happy

It is the easiest thing ever. I did my first one on Christmas Eve and I was terrified because my first try was on prime rib that cost over $100. I put it in a hot oven for an hour and then turned it off and let it sit in oven for one hour without peeking and it was PERFECT. Now I have a fancy digital thermometer that beeps when it reaches rare in the middle. When I take it out and let it rest it is a perfect med rare.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Regular Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Pqfan said:

HI Alex!{#emotions_dlg.wub} I am making roast beef and I have to go get my laundry out.

Geesh, P...I forgot about roast beef as an entrée; sounds yummy.

And, I have to go put my laundry IN.....so don't go anywhere when it's time to fold it for me!

Happy Holidays! Smile

Regular Contributor

On 12/21/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Doing a prime rib roast for the very first time here and serving it with rosemary/garlic roasted baby red potatoes. Having a citrus salad as the appetizer and serving for dessert - at least 7 kinds of home baked cookies!

You're going to get hooked on those potatoes, Jazz. Menu sounds delish...Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I've never cooked prime rib in my life. Only eaten it out. Maybe I should try . . . but I should probably try the first time when it isn't a major holiday meal in case it turns out badly. Smiley Happy

A meat thermometer - one with probe in meat that is constantly monitored is key. Even with minimal seasoning will be delicious. Just don't overcook it.

Super Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

It is the easiest thing ever. I did my first one on Christmas Eve and I was terrified because my first try was on prime rib that cost over $100. I put it in a hot oven for an hour and then turned it off and let it sit in oven for one hour without peeking and it was PERFECT. Now I have a fancy digital thermometer that beeps when it reaches rare in the middle. When I take it out and let it rest it is a perfect med rare.

I "think" I'm getting a digital thermometer for Christmas . . . silly husband . . . all the Amazon order email confirmations come to my account . . . after he left my other regular one outside in the charcoal grill . . . and I didn't have it to check the turkey for Thanksgiving. I will have to give it a try. I have a heart shaped Le Creuset casserole type baking dish . . . that I've never used . . . would this be an appropriate piece of cookware to use? It also has a lid. Cook and let sit with a lid OR without? Maybe I could try it for Valentine's Day. As I don't think either kid would like prime rib, daughter has gotten more picky and son has always been a very picky eater. So can you hear the thermometer going off in the oven or do you actually need to be in the same room to hear it since its in the oven?

Regular Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

On Christmas Eve our family always has prime rib and usually crab legs or lobster. I am cooking with the help of my family. This year is crab legs and Tansy's buche noel sounds so good. I love those!

So prime rib, crab legs, and Tansy's buche noel this year....I'm available to adopt for next year, girl....and yes, I'll help you cook!

You go....and have fun above all {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Regular Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Christmas Balls said:

Its going to be a surprise because for the first time in ages I'm not cooking {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I was told not to bring anything but I'll make a pie.

Hey gato....the last time I was told dinner was going to be a surprise, well.....I'll leave it at that. You might want to make that pie you're bringing a nice, home-made, comforting chicken pot-pie {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Obviously kidding...enjoy your surprise!!

Respected Contributor

On 12/21/2014 alexinflorida said:
On 12/21/2014 Christmas Balls said:

Its going to be a surprise because for the first time in ages I'm not cooking {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I was told not to bring anything but I'll make a pie.

Hey gato....the last time I was told dinner was going to be a surprise, well.....I'll leave it at that. You might want to make that pie you're bringing a nice, home-made, comforting chicken pot-pie {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Obviously kidding...enjoy your surprise!!

LOL! That is so true! That made me laugh so hard my dogs jumped up {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Enjoy your holiday alex! And I agree about the wine food group. Im sure the new Surgeon General would approve {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Regular Contributor

I'm volunteering to be your first taste tester, Qwack. Throw one in the oven and I'll be over shortly after that...{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Happy Holidays!