Frequent Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

Yes, to what some others have said just moments ago.  I understand your need to vent but venting sometimes takes the place of doing.  It gives you relief for awhile but does nothing to solve the problem.  It will take action on your part.  If you don't take action, someone else may be forced to take it. If you do it for yourself that would be a better way to go....don't you think?

@I wanted to tell you, @Halfpint, that my thoughts and prayers are with you.  I realize you are in difficult place but please remember....there are always other options. 

Hi @jubilant. Halfpint has often expressed she wants her independence and when it is suggested to her about moving she has no interest. When many feared for her safety when she posted about picking up cans at Walmart, she was not interested in advice...although she wanted to know why she had pain in her hands.

I, at this point, after years of reading her posts do not think she is going to change without the intervention of her son. No one here has really changed anything. Even with the police checking, she will continue to struggle without an advocate.

I wish her well but I feel our hands are tied in really helping in a meaningful way.

I agree with you @Trinity11.

The threads hold the same advice over the years and not really seeming to help.  We're just going in circles with the same questions and same answers. I feel bad about it.

Honored Contributor

My grandmother and aunt dealt with this type of issue after losing their husbands.    I don’t know what was written in their medical charts, but 40 years ago, their doctors referred to it as widows anxiety.   It was fueled by their high anxiety, and fear of being alone.   Both women were extremely dependent on their husbands, and struggled to adjust to living alone.  

My mothers high anxiety has been an issue as far back as I can remember.   Aging has contributed to raising her anxiety and fears, to the level she was climbing the walls, and it took Zoloft to get her feet back on the ground, and functioning normally again.   My mother is content at home and she is not afraid to live in her house alone, but there are other overwhelming fears in her situation that we are currently dealing with.   

I absolutely do not think this poster has tinnitus; pure and simple she is afraid in her house after dark.   She is fine in the house during the day, but darkness brings out her strong fears and her mind manifests this noise to back up the fact she’s afraid.   She gets so scared and worked up over the noise that she walks the 5-7 blocks in the middle of the night to her sons house.   She is afraid to be alone in her home.    

Frequent Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My grandmother and aunt dealt with this type of issue after losing their husbands.    I don’t know what was written in their medical charts, but 40 years ago, their doctors referred to it as widows anxiety.   It was fueled by their high anxiety, and fear of being alone.   Both women were extremely dependent on their husbands, and struggled to adjust to living alone.  

My mothers high anxiety has been an issue as far back as I can remember.   Aging has contributed to raising her anxiety and fears, to the level she was climbing the walls, and it took Zoloft to get her feet back on the ground, and functioning normally again.   My mother is content at home and she is not afraid to live in her house alone, but there are other overwhelming fears in her situation that we are currently dealing with.   

I absolutely do not think this poster has tinnitus; pure and simple she is afraid in her house after dark.   She is fine in the house during the day, but darkness brings out her strong fears and her mind manifests this noise to back up the fact she’s afraid.   She gets so scared and worked up over the noise that she walks the 5-7 blocks in the middle of the night to her sons house.   She is afraid to be alone in her home.    

I think you're on the right track @RedTop

I believe the noises started soon after her DH passed away.

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@halfpint1, there is a lot of mention of you having tinnitus.  Has your doctor diagnosed you with this?  If you do in fact have tinnitus it is remotely possible that yours is peripheral tinnitus rather than centralized tinnitus.

As I said it is remotely possible that a physiological problem is the cause of the tinnitus such as TMJ dysfunction.  Just on the outside chance the cause is physiological you should mention the tinnitus to your other healthcare providers such as your dentist and even your orthopedist if you have one.

Good points @Marp!   There are multiple causes of tinnuitis, that a routine hearing test can't rule out.  Hopefully @halfpint1 will remember to write the term down on a piece of paper to take to her doctor and discuss it with him & take it with her to any other healthcare provider as well.

O/T  Hope you are doing well and Happy Holidays to you and yours! Heart 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I agree. My dad had a similar reaction when he lost my mom. We moved and I took care of him in my childhood home. He was very happy to have company again and I got to really know him before he passed. It was hard at times but very worth it seeing him relaxed and happy again. 

Honored Contributor

I do believe her husband passed away in their home.   The doctor has mentioned consulting with a psychiatrist more than once, and she has not followed thru.   I get the feeling there is a very clear reason why she won’t talk with a psychiatrist.   

Honored Contributor

I honestly think she is sad and lonely, and her Dr is trying to get her on meds ,to see if it helps her emotionally  . The fact she refuses to listen to him, only makes things worse for her

Fear is a terrible thing. I wish she had the courage to look into senior  living  places. It could open up an entire new world for her, socially

But, the only one that can make these changes is @halfpint, if she can find the courage to do it. Staying on her meds, will be a big help to her, if she agrees to do it

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Coud be @RedTop.  Could be a number of things.  But she is 81 years old and is overwhelmed right now.  She needs to focus on the cause is coming from her & realize the noise itself is not a threat.  Medically, they need to totally rule out tinnuitis first.  And she needs to keep taking her medication. 

Right now she needs to try and focus on simple steps and work with her doctor.  Keeping it focused and simple is what will help her right now the most.  They can rule out one thing and move on to the next if need be, but for her, she needs to keep it simple & keep taking her medication as prescribed by her doctor.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Well , lets hope she sees the light,and gets help.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Hi again, Halfpint.  I wanted to mention one more thing.  I hesitated to do this because it may not be the problem. 

This sounds a lot like something my dad was diagnosed with.  At first, in the nursing home he was in, he was diagnosed with tintinitus.  After several weeks of being observed  by the nursing  home doctor, social worker, and nurses,  it was diagnosed as  "auditory hallucinations".  Our family had never heard of this before.  If you look it up, I think you may find the symptoms are very much like yours.  Just felt like you should know this. They did get it under control but it took some time.  I would think a geriatic doctor would be very familiar with this. It can be associated with certain diseases but depression can also cause it.  I just felt like I needed to tell you this so you could mention it to your doctor