Honored Contributor

We in parts of California are blessed with the most beautiful sight right now: the migration of the Painted Lady butterfies. For several reasons, this year is a blockbuster. They migrate in the spring from the deserts of the Southwestern U.S and northern Mexico border to the Pacific Northwest.

They can fly up to 25 mph, and they focus only on their destination. We live in Hermosa Beach, a small beach town in SoCal. Our city is inundated with these beautiful little ladies. Just today while I was driving home from the market, they were everywhere.

We have a greenbelt that runs through our city beloved by walkers, runners, and dogs with their people. My husband walked our dog through a cloud of swarming Painted Ladies. Just an incredible vision.

These lovely ladies deserve to reach their destination unscathed.

A painted lady butterfly. (iStock)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Re: Hail the Painted Ladies!

so beautiful, lucky you!!

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

Those pics are amazing...I love the color orange and especially the butterflies!

Respected Contributor

WOW !!!!  that is one spectacular sight! 

at first i thought you were yanking our chain when i saw it, ... thought it MUST be photoshopped ...

but instead, i want to say THANK YOU for posting that amazing photo! 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3Incredibly beautiful, lucky you. I love butterflies.

Still snow on the ground where I live.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

My home and yard was covered and under a butterfly highway on Wed. Estimate is more than one billion.
Honored Contributor

Oh wow!  Just beautiful!  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 Oh I am so homesick! I'm 71 and lived for years in Redondo Beach and then we moved to Torrance many years ago. I'm in WA state now (moved here to be with relatives after DH died) and miss my beloved SoCal sooooooo much!

Miss the smell of that salty air near the beach. When the wind was right, we could smell it in West Torance!

Honored Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

WOW !!!!  that is one spectacular sight! 

at first i thought you were yanking our chain when i saw it, ... thought it MUST be photoshopped ...

but instead, i want to say THANK YOU for posting that amazing photo! 

I can't take credit for the photos, @fancy pantsy . They are from a site about this year's amazing phenomenon. I did ask my husband why he didn't take some photos, a so many did around here, but I don't remember his excuse, er, I mean answer. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@suzyQ3 Oh I am so homesick! I'm 71 and lived for years in Redondo Beach and then we moved to Torrance many years ago. I'm in WA state now (moved here to be with relatives after DH died) and miss my beloved SoCal sooooooo much!

Miss the smell of that salty air near the beach. When the wind was right, we could smell it in West Torance!

Aww, @Love my grandkids , pay us a visit sometime.