Honored Contributor

Re: Hail the Painted Ladies!

Thrilling to see, even in this enclosed online space.

Thank you for sharing.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3   Just beautiful thanks for sharing

In Texas we get the migration of Snout Nosed butterflies in September if conditions are right....

220px-American_snout_butterfly.jpg

And in Mid-October to Mid-November its the Monarchs.....they go to Mexico for the winter....

Image result for monarch butterfly in san antonio

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Want to hear about the tarantula migration in New Mexico?  I didn't think so.

Screenshot_20190314-171625.jpg

@Kachina624 

LOL!!!! I'll draw our Texas tarantulas a map and send some extras your way....Smiley Wink  

Nothing is worse in the fall than the invasion of the crickets....

Nots so much on homes, but all the bright lights in shopping centers and malls attract them to businesses, and on highways too Woman Frustrated

Related image

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@hayseed00 wrote:

@suzyQ3  A few years ago I was hiking at Allegheny State Park in NY in the fall and was fortunate to witness a Monarch butterfly migration.  One of the most amazing events I ever witnessed!!!  Beauty in motion !!!

@hayseed00, they also so beautiful. We see them often. Unfortunately, I think that they are dwindling in numbers, if I recall correctly.

@suzyQ3 

Experts say its a special sight because the entire migration is in danger of disappearing and monarchs themselves are being considered for endangerment status this year.

The decline in the number of milkweed plants that the butterflies feed on are part of the problem.

"We have to have 1.4 billion stems, billion with a 'B', stems of milkweed in the ground to save the monarch migration over the next ten years," Laurie Brown with the San Antonio Zoo said.

It will take a lot of new plants, but saving the beautiful creatures, Brown says, can be done.

"There's a lot we can do to save them. Like by planting plants, building butterfly gardens in your backyard," she said.

Honored Contributor

In East TN we have a monarch butterfly migration in September and October.  They are so beautiful.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

So pretty

Esteemed Contributor

To my untrained eye, Painted Lady and Monarch Butterflies look the same.  Currently I am at Pismo Beach, next door to a Monarch Sanctuary and it is "high season" for viewing.  There are the usual pileup of tourist cars parked by the Sanctuary but I see very few Monarches this year.