Honored Contributor

Had to use windows 10 today...

I normally use my chromebook - so much simpler & faster than a windows computer but today I needed Word so I had to use DH's windows 10 laptop.It felt so slow and difficult to me. Glad I don't have to do that very often.

Honored Contributor

Re: Had to use windows 10 today...

[ Edited ]

I don't even know what that means...lol   I've been using Win 10 for over a year and half, since I got my new computer and after the growing pains and the frequest updates, everthing has been great.  I love having all my windows open on one page.  I can see everything at glance and that's great for me because I can switch from work to play all day.  I know Win 10 does not work optimally on old computers but I don't understand how or why it would slow anything down.  Makes no sense to me.  

Esteemed Contributor

I love Win 10. It has never given me any problems. It just took a little getting use to, just like anything new does.

Honored Contributor

Once I was able to personalize it and make it look close to Windows 7 I was okay with it.

Honored Contributor

CelticCrafter wrote:

Once I was able to personalize it and make it look close to Windows 7 I was okay with it.

I also did this and it helped immensely.   I don't love Win10, although I have one computer with (OEM) it.   Right now I'm on a favorite that's Win8.1.  At least I can know that, assuming it doesn't die on me, it's supported until 2023.   I also have two laptops still in service that have Win7.   That's only supported until 2020, but I'm going to get the most out of it.

Too bad my newest one with Win10 isn't my favorite.  Although I find Win10 annoying, it's a really nice laptop.   I probably use it 20% of the time, over one of my older ones.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't even know what that means...lol   I've been using Win 10 for over a year and half, since I got my new computer and after the growing pains and the frequest updates, everthing has been great.  I love having all my windows open on one page.  I can see everything at glance and that's great for me because I can switch from work to play all day.  I know Win 10 does not work optimally on old computers but I don't understand how or why it would slow anything down.  Makes no sense to me.  

i have been using windows10 for at least a  year now, maybe two years? after going through some minor user issues, i am fine with it. right now it is better for me than the relatively new microsoft edge.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

i have been using windows10 for at least a  year now, maybe two years? after going through some minor user issues, i am fine with it. right now it is better for me than the relatively new microsoft edge.

I agree, they are similar but I prefer Win 10 over MS Edge.  Honestly, I can't understand the grumbling over Win 10, it's far and away superior that Win 8.  I don't even remember Win 7.

Honored Contributor

My I-pad is much faster than my laptop with Win-10.  I only use Windows when am have to, which isn't often.

i have had a computer since 1994 and have never been fond of any version of Windows. I am a DOS fan.

My nephew who is a computer programmer told me that Windows 10 works best on a touch screen computer. 

Honored Contributor

Android devices are lightening fast in comparrison to anything windows. We have 2 windows 10 computers - one is our desktop I rarely use and the other is this laptop DH brings with him when he travels.He likes windows 10 too. I stick with my chromebook 99.9% of the time.

Honored Contributor

Speed is largely hardware based. I rebuilt my old Vista computer with a new motherboard, new six core CPU, 8 GB's of RAM, Windows 10, and a solid state drive and it's blindingly fast. (The whole upgrade including buying Windows 10 cost me about $400.)

I reused my old case, optical drive and my old hard drives keeping my costs lower. 

Chromebooks are fast because they also use a SSD and have a very basic OS. My rebuilt Windows 10 computer though goes from fully off to fully on in less than a minute. It returns from a sleep state in less than ten seconds. It's pretty darn fast.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!