Honored Contributor

We get plenty of dust and dirt in Albuquerque but nothing like this in Phoenix.  You'd have to really love a place to put up with it.

We, as well as Denver, have been having terrible smoke from the California fires.  Yesterday you couldn't see the 10,000 ft mountain that's right on the Eastern edge of town.  People with respiratory issues were advised to stay 

Inside.

Screenshot_20180821-015901.jpg

Read more about haboobs here.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Wow. That’s totally scary looking. Would freak me out.

Honored Contributor

I had a friend that was out in a car ,when she  was suddenly in one. She said it is scary

It seems like your paint job might get scratched up

Honored Contributor

The first time I ever saw one on the news several years ago I couldn't believe it!!...a giant rolling dust cloud swallowing up everything it its path!!  VERY scary and the headache cleaning up afterwards I can't even begin to image!

You have giant fires every year out west, hurricanes on the coast down south, tornadoes in the midwest, alligators in Fl and other southern states, these haboobs (and nasty desert creatures) in the desert states....I think I'll stay here in the northeast where the worst is an occasional blizzard.  It's rare to see a scary creature and even more rare to have a terrible storm ...yes we did have super storm Sandy but it's so rare.

Honored Contributor

It is so scary looking. Besides covering you up with dust and dirt, do you feel anything? Does it shake your car? Again I would be terrified not being able to see.

Esteemed Contributor

It’s just a wall of dust followed by rain sometimes. Yes it is scary if you are in the middle of it on the freeway but for those of us who live on the west side of town we don’t get the brunt of it. We get some but in a much lighter format.  They start in the east valley picking up dust from the open areas. If you are on the freeway it is suggested you pull over and leave your lights off. It passes pretty quickly. We only get a few a year and it’s certainly better than earthquakes, fires, hurricanes and tornados. 

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

It’s just a wall of dust followed by rain sometimes. Yes it is scary if you are in the middle of it on the freeway but for those of us who live on the west side of town we don’t get the brunt of it. We get some but in a much lighter format.  They start in the east valley picking up dust from the open areas. If you are on the freeway it is suggested you pull over and leave your lights off. It passes pretty quickly. We only get a few a year and it’s certainly better than earthquakes, fires, hurricanes and tornados. 

ITA. 

Haboobs rarely make it to the area where I live. We get some regular blowing dust but usually rain follows. 

I rarely see "scary creatures" unless you count quail, coyotes and the occasional bobcat or javelina.  I've lived in AZ for nearly 45 years and only seen 2 scorpions and never a rattlesnake in the wild. I know they are here, but it is not a daily occurrence to see them.

I'll take this climate  any day over tornados, blizzards and hurricanes.

Respected Contributor

I believe Phoenix gets them because of their specific geography. I’ve never seen one.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I had a friend that was out in a car ,when she  was suddenly in one. She said it is scary

It seems like your paint job might get scratched up

@cherry.   When we get ordinary dust storms in the spring, your face feels gritty and you can taste and feel it in your mouth.  It's the worst in newly developed areas with loose dirt.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

ITA. 

Haboobs rarely make it to the area where I live. We get some regular blowing dust but usually rain follows. 

I rarely see "scary creatures" unless you count quail, coyotes and the occasional bobcat or javelina.  I've lived in AZ for nearly 45 years and only seen 2 scorpions and never a rattlesnake in the wild. I know they are here, but it is not a daily occurrence to see them.

I'll take this climate  any day over tornados, blizzards and hurricanes.

You got me beat. I’ve lived here since the 60’s and have seen a few coyotes,  and quail, never a Scorpion, snake or bobcat. It’s sure better than shoveling snow, worrying about fires, earthquakes etc. what’s a little dust? It blows away.