Respected Contributor

What does this do to the inside of your house, or car engine if parked outside? 

My SIL lives in Phx. AZ with 110 degree temps.   And she wants me to retire there .... this haboob occurrence might keep me back East.  

Honored Contributor

those dust storms in Phoenix are a trip. Have friends living there and so far they have not lived in the path of one of those things, but everyone gets some of it. the dust is amazing and gets into everything. I couldn't live there either. thought I would move down there after the hubs retired in a few yers but I'm not going. too hot and not a fan of the politics. but during the few months it is cooler  and calmer, it really is nice--I'll visit him during that time of year---maybe---Woman Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

It’s just a wall of dust followed by rain sometimes. Yes it is scary if you are in the middle of it on the freeway but for those of us who live on the west side of town we don’t get the brunt of it. We get some but in a much lighter format.  They start in the east valley picking up dust from the open areas. If you are on the freeway it is suggested you pull over and leave your lights off. It passes pretty quickly. We only get a few a year and it’s certainly better than earthquakes, fires, hurricanes and tornados. 

@Meowingkitty-  do we get a choice? They're all horrible!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

We live in Arizona, the haboobs only affect certain parts of the state. We’ve never had one in our area. As for wildlife, I see coyotes weekly. Have had javelinas, bobcats in our yard. Scorpions and rattlesnakes are part of living in the desert. 

I’d rather deal with all of this instead of driving or walking on a sheet of ice or shoveling snow. 

Super Contributor

National Weather Service said the haboob early this month (about Aug 1 or 2) was 70 miles wide and 1,000 feet high. And the monsoon this year has damaged so many trees.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

We get plenty of dust and dirt in Albuquerque but nothing like this in Phoenix.  You'd have to really love a place to put up with it.

We, as well as Denver, have been having terrible smoke from the California fires.  Yesterday you couldn't see the 10,000 ft mountain that's right on the Eastern edge of town.  People with respiratory issues were advised to stay 

Inside.

Screenshot_20180821-015901.jpg

Read more about haboobs here.

@Kachina624:  what about pets with respiratory issues that need to be walked?

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I had a friend that was out in a car ,when she  was suddenly in one. She said it is scary

It seems like your paint job might get scratched up

I was IN one @cherry  I was eating sand forever and my car never was the same after that.

Esteemed Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

What does this do to the inside of your house, or car engine if parked outside? 

My SIL lives in Phx. AZ with 110 degree temps.   And she wants me to retire there .... this haboob occurrence might keep me back East.  

It doesn’t affect the inside of my house. I do change the A/C filter a bit more frequently if we have one. As for cars, mine sits outside and it’s gets dusty and if it rains, muddy. That’s what car washes are for. We get the tail end of them where I live. They media hypes them up. They mostly affect the east valley (think Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, maybe parts of Scottsdale or downtown Phoenix) they happen only a few times a year and are over pretty quickly. Unlike snow storms that rust your car, last for weeks on end and are pretty miserable. It’s all part of living where you don’t have to wear a coat, gloves and boots and don’t have to shovel snow. We see people jogging, walking dogs, biking shortly after one. It’s no big deal. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I had a friend that was out in a car ,when she  was suddenly in one. She said it is scary

It seems like your paint job might get scratched up

I was IN one @cherry  I was eating sand forever and my car never was the same after that.

I live here and have never had trouble with my car. If I'm indoors or in my car with Windows up, there is no eating sand.

There is a lot of misunderstanding and hyperbole about these storms. They last a very short time  (minutes) and you just use your common sense to ride them out. 

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

We get plenty of dust and dirt in Albuquerque but nothing like this in Phoenix.  You'd have to really love a place to put up with it.

We, as well as Denver, have been having terrible smoke from the California fires.  Yesterday you couldn't see the 10,000 ft mountain that's right on the Eastern edge of town.  People with respiratory issues were advised to stay 

Inside.

Screenshot_20180821-015901.jpg

Read more about haboobs here.

@Kachina624:  what about pets with respiratory issues that need to be walked?

@feline groovy.  I guess the little darlings will have to wait until it settles down.  Nobody in their right mind would go out in that mess.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment