Respected Contributor

Re: HSN Bans ‘Used-Car Salesmen,’ ‘Yellers’ and ‘Hijackers’ From Network

This came from the Home Shoppingista (Linda Moss.) 

For those who may not know, her blog often provides news and gossip from the home shopping industry.

Respected Contributor

Are they sure it was sent to the correct network?  If this is a directive via the new pecking order, they should look to their own vendors.  Just sayin...

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

Honestly, I find the hosts to be far worse offenders of cutting off and not letting the vendor describe their product.    And I think if you look up "hard seller" in the dictionary there is a picture of Shannon.  Good grief...on a TSV two minutes in she is telling you you have to buy now or it will sell out and she owns six in every color and has it on auto delivery.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have absolutely no problem with them trying to establish ground rules to avoid the sales overkill and ensure everyone knows their roles... I hope QVC does the same. I hope both networks extend the directive for a more low key approach to their hosts. That said, the tone and the poorly crafted letter are offensive. The way to have imparted this information wasn't in a poorly worded, 'holier than thou' form letter. They should have arranged a meeting with all vendors, explained the direction in which they wanted to go and given an opportunity to give and receive feedback... 'Gordy' sounds like a little man who was promoted beyond his ken... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Though I no longer shop much with either entity, and while QVC's 3% revenue increase is hardly stellar, for HSN to see a decline in revenue of 9% is really discouraging... I have long thought that home shopping needs to reinvent itself and that need seems to be more and more pressing... None of these networks are what they used to be...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Doesn't QVC now own HSN?

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a description of Joy Mangano. 😂
Trusted Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Sounds like a description of Joy Mangano. 😂

@bikerbabe You're right.  It really does.  Could you imagine her reading that email from this guy?  If I were her, I'd pick up the phone and call the president of the company to let him know that neither my products or me would ever be on HSN again if this guy wasn't fired immediately.  Same with Marilyn Miglin.  I can understand them wanting their HOSTS to tone it down, but addressing the VENDORS who bring in the products that make the company money like that is just unfathomable.  

Valued Contributor

Gordie got a little excited there.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Those of us who watched QVC back in the beginning can tell you - the presentations were as this Gordy described. A conversation about a product.It was low key and enjoyable to watch.

I haven't actually sat down and watched a QVC presentation for years now because they all feel like those infomercials now. They seriously need to get back to the old format.