Occasional Contributor

Has anyone noticed over the last several months how FAST the hosts and vendors speak???   I know they only have a set amount of time to present a product, but they often talk so fast (and in a high-pitched voice) that I OFTEN miss half of what they are saying.  It's unprofessional.

Respected Contributor

This is not just limited to the Q but life in general. Was on the phone with CS for another company and had to ask the person to slow down. I don't even think they know they are talking so fast.

Super Contributor

I agree and the problem (for me) is everywhere.  It's as if people are on fast forward!

Esteemed Contributor

A lot of times it is hard to register how fast they are talking because they are constantly interruping  eachother .......and they spend too much time on each product with not related conversations.............so i don't feel they are rushing to get all the information in during a short presentation...

Honored Contributor

Ditto!  I couldn't talk that fast for any (large) amount of money.  I've noticed the same re: med. assistants leaving voice mail messages.  Did they say 4:15 or 4:50 appointment? Or what the heck did they say to begin with (lol).  ........... Seriously, I do believe that many folks are drinking too much caffeine.  As I've mentioned here before, drivers will practically run down pedestrians in a mad rush to our local coffee shop.  There must be a tons of caffeine in those coffees. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Don't you think it has something to do with the psychology of selling?  Something like - if they talk fast and loud, they convey urgency, and, before we realize it, we're on the phone or online ordering before it's .... gone!!

Honored Contributor

Re: HOSTS & VENDORS

[ Edited ]

Seriously, looking at this, in general, from an overall perspective:  How healthy could it be (long run) for folks to constantly be in a fast-forward motion?  'Rush-rush here, rush-rush there'........ In sort of a 'fight-or-flight' state of being for many years.  I don't know......it just doesn't seem very healthy to me.  Rather counter-productive.  It would be interesting to  find out exactly what the eventual future final results are. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s. Just to clarify:  I don't necessarily relate fast talking to hosts only.  First of all, there are several hosts and vendors who speak 'normally' (in a slower pace).  They don't seem 'rushed' at all, and they are able to give us all of the information/details, etc.   What I'm talking about is 'in general' out there in the world.  All of this rushing/driving around all day long.  Around here, during the week, there's a huge amount of fast drivers racing around all day long.  It used to be that the week days had light traffic and light customer shopping. Shopping  and parking lots were fairly barren. Now, tons of people everywhere.  'It's a mystery' ............

Trusted Contributor

@jonickel wrote:

Has anyone noticed over the last several months how FAST the hosts and vendors speak???   I know they only have a set amount of time to present a product, but they often talk so fast (and in a high-pitched voice) that I OFTEN miss half of what they are saying.  It's unprofessional.

Except for Mary Beth. That's one of the reasons I like her hosting.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed depending on the item, the pitch and volume gets heighten.  They become old time carnival barkers.  They ramp it it to get the sales.