Super Contributor

Re: HONEYBELL SITUATION MAKING ME CRAZY

@Kachina624 wrote:

Didn't Harry & David buy Cushman's Honeybells?  If so, that is H&D and as good as you're going to get from them.  Good citrus is contingent on so many factors that are out of the grower's control, it may not be the best crop to sell sight unseen.  Every year seems to be different from the last.

Yep, they did a while ago. Which is exactly why the quality is awful now.

Honored Contributor

I get sent a lot of gift baskets from them and they've never been good and I'm sure they're not cheap either. The reviews for Honeybells have been pretty bad for several years now. 
I've rarely been disappointed with produce from the grocery store.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember about 12-15 years ago, a woman I worked with sold the Honeybells by the case or half a case through her kids school.  One of my coworkers would split a case with me every year. They were unbelievably ripe, full of flavor and super juicy. Every morning, she and I would sit in my office and pull the trash can over and eat those oranges over the can so the juice had somewhere to go besides our mouths. That went on for maybe 5 years and they started going south and we quit buying.  Can't buy them around here in MD.   I miss them too.  I have grabbed some tangelos and cara cara oranges which are good but they aren't those years ago honeybells.

Contributor

You miss the most important point - I and others got a letter from QVC stating that we would not be getting our auto ship of Honeybells for 2022- why? what happened to the QVC policy? However, last year's shipment was 10 lbs of fruit - the new offer is 9 lbs - a difference of weight and price - inflation is causing prices to rise so if you factor those things into the picture, it seems that the orders were cancelled due to cost.  A lot of us complained that the cancellation made a mockery of the QVC auto ship - suddenly a Harry and David box appears- even if they were perfect my question is why the abrupt change?  The complaints must have been overwhelming. I gues they realized that they have to adhere to a policy unless there is prior notice - they almost got away with it. Looks like the "honored contributors" have some intrest in rushing to their defense . Hmmmmm?

Honored Contributor

@JerseyJ wrote:

You miss the most important point - I and others got a letter from QVC stating that we would not be getting our auto ship of Honeybells for 2022- why? what happened to the QVC policy? However, last year's shipment was 10 lbs of fruit - the new offer is 9 lbs - a difference of weight and price - inflation is causing prices to rise so if you factor those things into the picture, it seems that the orders were cancelled due to cost.  A lot of us complained that the cancellation made a mockery of the QVC auto ship - suddenly a Harry and David box appears- even if they were perfect my question is why the abrupt change?  The complaints must have been overwhelming. I gues they realized that they have to adhere to a policy unless there is prior notice - they almost got away with it. Looks like the "honored contributors" have some intrest in rushing to their defense . Hmmmmm?

@JerseyJ 

I had to read your post 3 times because it just didn't make any sense to me.  

Made a "mockery" of QVC's autoship?   Posters have an interest in rushing to their defense?   Almost got away with it?   

Seriously?  

Let's use a little common sense here .......   The bottom line here is QVC (or any other retailer) can only send out autoship-type shipments IF the perishable products meet at least a minimum standard of quality.  I don't know why you don't understand that, but I don't think they are making a "mockery" of anything.