Respected Contributor

The latest I heard is that once this vendor has completed his work in the neighborhood he will come back here to address my situation which of course is the situation they created by bypassing the cleaning of my unit and experimenting with chemicals on my driveway.  I am being told however they are blaming driveway discolorations on previous powerwashing work done by the original contractor, saying that they used the wrong equipment and it doesn't look like much can be done to restore it back to what it was. 

I knew my driveway had some lines of demarcation but it is the ashy color I am more concerned with.  Its supposed to be a cream color.  Not charcoal gray in patches and spots all over.  So I am at the end of the list and just have to wait.  That's that.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor
I would tell the HOA as well as the management company you are hiring another power washing company to do your home since the company they hired failed to do it...and you expect the HOA to pay for it. I would also continue to call and email until you get a response.
Another reason we backed out on purchasing a home we liked...nightmare stories about the HOA. Be careful posting slams on yelp; those can backfire and you could end up with more issues than you have now. I would deduct the cost of the power wash from your dues.
Respected Contributor

I hesitate to write this because I have not read each and every post.   I have read the initials ones and the last one concerns me.  I would not get a private company to do anything and then attempt to charge it back to the HOA.  In most cases the  HOA is the final authority unless you go to court and win.

Here at my condo if we do not pay our entire condo fee, we are then denied privileges, pool access, etc.  On top of that, there is a fee with interest added on monthly and that adds up quickly.  At one point if the fees get too high, they will slap a lien on the condo unit.

The HOA has free legal advice because the lawyers are paid for through HOA fees.   

I just wanted to throw my two cents in.  I was on our condo board for eight years and since we were elected by the people, we ran our association like a small government. 

Respected Contributor

I tell myself it's just a driveway.  In the grand scheme of things, does it REALLY matter?  The answer would be no.  However, this is a new home.  I've only lived here a little over 2 years and always park my car in the garage.  Since the house is so new the place should still look nice you know?  It made me feel proud my new little home looked so nice, and now....not so much.  Makes me sad like why bother with anything?  They'll always be someone to rain on your parade so to speak.  Do I really want the stress of finding an atty and dragging this on for god knows how long, fighting w/people and feeling angry?  I think it might just be easier to move out sometime in the next year or so.  Be done with it.

Honored Contributor
when they finally do the power washing, no matter who does it, make sure they connect their hoses to the neighbor's faucet!
Respected Contributor

Do you have a homeowners insurance agent that you could contact for advice?

Respected Contributor

Your Boardmembers should be as concerned as you because quality of maintenance affects the entire townhouse community. Keep after the board about it. I have not lived in such a community, but my aunt does and is involved and pleased with her Board because they are on top of such things. A bad Board of ?Directors can equal a bad townhouse development!

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

Your Boardmembers should be as concerned as you because quality of maintenance affects the entire townhouse community. Keep after the board about it. I have not lived in such a community, but my aunt does and is involved and pleased with her Board because they are on top of such things. A bad Board of ?Directors can equal a bad townhouse development!

I had initially notified the President of our HOA Board as well as the Real Estate Co. handling the admin. end of things.  The Pres of the board wrote me to not contact him, but to deal directly with the RE Co.  He said I was prolonging the process by not dealing with the RE Co. directly and going thru him.  I then wrote him telling him his lack of support  for a problem caused thru no fault of my own but by contractors hired (and I don't even know the name ofthe contractor at this point, the pu trucks have no signage) wasn't helpful in the least.  He then wrote me a long nasty letter about how HARD they work, and they are just volunteers, and if I'm not happy with the way things are then I should run for election, and blah blah blah - so its crystal clear he wants no part.  Any further communications I will write the Real Estate Company and cc him on the communications.  And I HAD thought this was a thoughtful and caring community.

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure the President can just blow you off with the - I'm just a volunteer and have no responsibility -- trope.

I thought HOA Board members could be financially liable for things such as this.  

I know a lawsuit could be expensive - but so is moving - and losing money on your sale due to the damaged driveway.

I would mention to both the management company - and the HOA board, that if this is not rectified, I will be filing a lawsuit for the property damage.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Never heard of an HOA being involved with the cleaning of neighborhood houses. Common areas yes, but not privately owned. 

@esmerelda   She said she lives in a townhouse and all outside maintenance is taken care of.

Sounds like the ownership is condo though.  Pretty unusual around here for townhouse HOA to be responsible for home building upkeep.  That would be a Condo Ownership.  I would contact the company and say Hey you missed me, when are you coming back? Heck, Knowing me i would have run out the door and said where are you going!!  As far as the chemicals and the concrete color on the driveway, do you have before pictures?  Otherwise you are kind of stuck.  Ask them nicely to try again.  Gotta say our sidewalks are not uniform either.  It just isn’t important.  Another thing, your home is two years old?  Power washing nice but maybe not needed?  Good Luck,