Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN  Covenants are not the same thing as bylaws and declarations. If I may ask; is your community incorporated? For example, mine is Happy Homes, Inc. on all legal documents but if you asked any homeowner who is not on the board or who doesn't attend meetings, they wouldn't know that. They would tell you that they live in the community called Happy Homes. A community that is incorporated means its' HOA board follows state laws and answers to the AG in EVERYTHING. Those communities that are not; different story. So that right there may affect the procedures for getting the repairs made. 

For those that don't know: the HOA board does not get the vendors. They are presented with bids and information from the management company who the HOA pays to handle specific tasks (bookkeeping, vendors, groundskeeping, writing checks, document storage, etc). The board is presented with the bids, they discuss it in an open session, they vote and then the president OR the treasurer signs the contract. The management company rep then works all the details out with the vendor. 

In my community, I would have been contacted by an angry homeowner. I would then have called my management rep demanding to know what the heck happened and to get them out there ASAP to fix it. Beyond that, there's nothing I can do. Now, if I keep hearing negative feedback from this homeowner, I can call the vendor ticked off and inform him/her they'll lose contract because my board won't tolerate this ******; I can call my management rep and demand she fix it ASAP or her company may no longer have a contract with us (the board can hire ANY management company they wish because management does the bidding of the board, not the other way around when a community is incorporated). 

This is why you need to know your by-laws and declarations for the home you own. Have to say, what you describe sounds more like a condo association than HOA considering all the external aspects of your home is managed by the community. Single family homes and townhouses can be condos though most think of a highrise. It's the definition and what the benefits of the association provides to the community that defines a condo association vs an HOA . Each has a board and committees but it's what they take care of that often defines one from the other.

Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Since this occurrence happened on Sunday evening I feel I've been persistent w/both the President of our HOA and the HOA Mgmt Company.  Our President has only sent me very brief e-mails that all the units WILL be power washed and in reference to my mottled driveway, only that he received my messages.  The HOA Mgmt Co. has e-mailed me the same thing.  The vendor will return once he has completed his other jobs.  Apparently I'm last on the list.

I've read thru my HOA covenant agreement and it only mentions all exterior maintenance xcept for windows and skylights is included in our HOA fee.  So our lawns and shrubbery, roofs, siding, brick, driveways etc are taken care of under our HOA...I did not see anything re:  grievances.  Since it has not yet been a week, I think contacting lawyers is a huge expense that I'm just not ready for.  I do like the idea of registered letters to our board President and the Mgmt Co. 

I took such care to get my place ready for all this.  Removing my porch furniture, moving my flowers away, to make everyone's job easier, and this is what I get.  I have to wonder about myself sometimes, I'm always trying to make things easy for everyone else and trying to be considerate of neighbors n all.  I thought Townhome living would be easier, no worries, everything taken care of thru our high monthly HOA fees, but it hasn't been any easier and very difficult to get things done properly.  As an older single woman I guess I should get used to being less than everyone else, almost invisible sometimes as opposed to husband and wife teams who can get the husband to confront these types of situations and be listened to.

This only happened a couple days ago? Hardly enough time to figure out what the problem actually is let alone rectify it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Never heard of an HOA being involved with the cleaning of neighborhood houses. Common areas yes, but not privately owned. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Never heard of an HOA being involved with the cleaning of neighborhood houses. Common areas yes, but not privately owned. 

@esmerelda   She said she lives in a townhouse and all outside maintenance is taken care of.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:
I would show up in person at the powerwasing place. I wouldn't care if it were just a parking lot for the trucks I'd be there NOW and demanding to speak to the owner/manager. Phone calls and text messages/emails don't get thru to some people's THICK skulls. I'd be on top of this till it's done to my satisfaction. I would want it to be completed BY this weekend. Good luck.

A word of caution: in our HOA it is expressly forbidden for the homeowners to directly engage with the vendors and contractors employed by the association.  You can be fined. You are to communicate concerns via the property management company or the condo board only.

Respected Contributor

Taking into accounts all your advice and recommendations to document document document I sent another e-mail to the President of our community HO Board.  I asked SPECIFIC questions to which he replied to none.  His comment to me was to voice my concern(s) to the Real Estate office who handles all the administrative stuff for the community.  (Which I have ALREADY DONE on the 1st day this happened!)  He doesn't want to hear about it anymore.  I thought his response was quite telling and he was offended, but that's how I feel.  I mean, what's the point of having this Board? 

So I'm not going to hold my breath waiting and waiting and waiting some more for assistance.  Will keep after the Real Estate office.  I don't think judging by his attitude I'm the only complaint.  Thus his lack of empathy or backup.  Figured as much.  Cat Sad

Does that surprise anyone?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Taking into accounts all your advice and recommendations to document document document I sent another e-mail to the President of our community HO Board.  I asked SPECIFIC questions to which he replied to none.  His comment to me was to voice my concern(s) to the Real Estate office who handles all the administrative stuff for the community.  (Which I have ALREADY DONE on the 1st day this happened!)  He doesn't want to hear about it anymore.  I thought his response was quite telling and he was offended, but that's how I feel.  I mean, what's the point of having this Board? 

So I'm not going to hold my breath waiting and waiting and waiting some more for assistance.  Will keep after the Real Estate office.  I don't think judging by his attitude I'm the only complaint.  Thus his lack of empathy or backup.  Figured as much.  Cat Sad

@jellyBEAN   Unfortunately, no.  Our Board is comprised of useless members, too. LOL 

The HOA Mgmt., this time around, is ok. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

It sounds more like what happens with a timeshare. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@esmerelda   She said she lives in a townhouse and all outside maintenance is taken care of.

@NickNackRight.  I owned a townhouse style condo years ago and the HOA took care of everything outside.  Landscaping, shoveling, washing, etc.  In fact they shoveled snow right up to the door.

I was responsible for the inside.

It doesn't surprise me that her HOA does this where she lives.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Any way you could go to the Real Estate office in person?

Tell them you're going to get a lawyer, you're going to file a complaint with the BBB if they don't have this taken care of immediately.