Super Contributor

Re: HGTV Property Brothers Rant

I think the only show in Hgtv where they actually fix things up or reuse them is Rehab Addict.
Valued Contributor

when we remodeled, our kitchen had the white metal cabinets from the '40's-----we gave them to the guys working on our house---they wanted them for garage and basement storage----we also gave one guy our 2 year old dishwasher since we bought a new one-----there are all kinds of house things that can be re-purposed
Trusted Contributor

They advertised a new show on DIY network called "sledge hammer". The couple has 30 minutes to demolish as many rooms in their house as they can. But only the room(s) they totally demolish will get redone. If they just start and time is called, that room stays as is with whatever damage they did. I thought of this thread when I was watching.

My dad also rehabbed our kitchen cabinets when we did a remodel growing up -- he put them in the garage.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the OP. I think the 'drama' is for us viewers and it is wasteful on the part of the folks doing the show. Maybe someone needs to write and let them know.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

On 8/24/2014 sylviahomeatlast said: when we remodeled, our kitchen had the white metal cabinets from the '40's-----we gave them to the guys working on our house---they wanted them for garage and basement storage----we also gave one guy our 2 year old dishwasher since we bought a new one-----there are all kinds of house things that can be re-purposed

Habitat for Humanity will also come and take away old cabinets, light fixtures, etc.

They then either sell them, use them in a rehab or sell them for scrap.

I got some great old paneled wood doors and door handles from their ReStore.

Respected Contributor

Our house was built in the twenties. The old white farm style cupboards were replaced in the fifties and the old ones were put in the bomb shelter. If I hit the lottery I will have the ugly newer ones replaced with ones to replicate the original ones.

Honored Contributor

We repurposed all of our old kitchen cupboards. Two of them were painted and installed in our laundry room. Several others were installed in the garage and basement/furnace room. I would never discard cupboards. If you can't use them, offer them as a donation. Like others have said many people would be happy for them.

HGTV could repurpose too IMO.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

Wasteful but up to the homeowners to ask the brothers to recycle or re-purpose them.

Honored Contributor

Saturday afternoon and I'm watching this show.  My late husband and I built several homes.  Actually, we've developed several developments (from land to the houses).

I totally agree with all of you about saving the cabinets, etc.  Habitat for Humanity uses some of the donated things in houses that are being renovated and no longer needed.

Actually in the house I'm living in now we took the cabinets that we'd originally put in the kitchen into the garage.  My late husband put kitchen cabinets from another house he'd renovated into the laundry room.

In May 2001 lightning hit our house (for the 4th time actually) but this time it did some real damage.  We couldn't live in it for 5 months.  We lived in a hotel for 5 months courtesy of our insurance company.  Hence, we had to 'redo' our entire house, again courtesy of the insurance company.

I'm off course again.  Where was I?  Oh!  I enjoy the show but it is frustrating to see where these guys get so much pleasure tearing up things.  I've watched a lot of shows like "inside the Property Brother's show", etc.  I never get the feeling they think much about re-using some of the things taken from previous houses.

That's sad because this show could be a learning experience for future home owners like using cabinets like we did.  A lot of money could be saved if they'd do this sometimes and people would learn there are places where they could get used things.  Most people aren't aware that they can find attractive, usable cabinets and the like in businesses totally devoted to people who have imagination and want to save money.

To the original poster, thank you for offering up this subject.  I only wish more people felt the same way all of you feel. 

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I think the sledge hammer/jack hammer destruction adds to the show's "excitement" factor. After all, how exciting can a can of paint be?

ITA with cabinet recycling if they're in good shape. Habitat Restores will take them and the profits go to a good cause.

I agree with you. I see this on most of these types of shows. Like they get some kind of glee busting down the cabinets. It really irks me, especially when some of the kitchens have obviously quality made cabinets. Like you said the cabinets can be donated and there is a tax rebate for the donation. When we remodeled our kitchen our designer told us of the donation program, but we elected to utilize the old cabinets down in our basement. We even had friends asking us for our cabinets if we weren't going to reuse them. I think I will write a letter to the various shows that do this. It is so wasteful. On top of that this stuff ends up in landfills.