Esteemed Contributor

Re: HELP MY DAUGHTER WANTS TO MOVE TO FLORIDA

@NYC Susan wrote:

@truffle wrote:

Your situation sounds unbearable @Lindsays Grandma fraught with anxiety and fear for your future.  If you daughter has stated she will always be there for you then she should be good on her word.  It is clear that you need her and cannot survive without her.  I don't blame you for not wanting to relocate as moving is always stressful nevermind that it's a location you find unacceptable.  You have to make it clear that you are not moving and that she, as your caregiver, will destroy not just your life but hers too as there is a co-dependency.  

This is way too heavy-handed for me.  I can't imagine saying that to anyone under any circumstances.

Agreed.

Guilt-trips ultimately leads to resentment from the one who the guilt was laid upon.

Besides, I bet that the o/p is stronger and more capable than she thinks.

I think that the separation will do her some good.

It will cause her to become more independent.

Who knows?

She just might surprise herself and enjoy her new found independence.

Esteemed Contributor

@granny me wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I forgot to mention we live together. We share expenses and I am here for Lindsay and have been since she was born.  My daughter is divorced and can't afford to make it on her own.  Therefore, when she makes a decision to move it affects my life.

I didn't realize the move included you to go with her. Well, that does add hair to the donkey. This will not be an easy decision for either of you and I wish you well.

Thank you granny me.  She can't afford to do it on her own and is not giving me a choice.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I really don't think there is anything you are going to do that is going to change her mind. It sounds as though she is pretty much set on it. Let me ask you this though. If you really have to talk her out of it, will you feel settled knowing you had to do that? 

You may not like it. I know I wouldn't, I don't care for FL. Not only don't I care for it, I hate it. It is my least favoritie state. Been there many times, my grandmother lived there and we went all the time to visit her and I have visited other friends and been to about every part of FL there is. I just dont' like it. I don't like NC either which is where I live. I prefer 4 seasons with a decent snow in the winter, that is just how I am.

You had your chance though, your daughter wants hers. If you don't want to move with her then you have to think of an alternative plan.

I don't mean to sound harsh but if you try and talk your daughter out of this she will resent you. I am super close with my daugher who just told me a few months ago they might be moving to Austin, TX. I am going to miss her, my grandson and SIL so much. I know I will. I raised her to be independent and see different places though so I know it is right to show her support and not only that but show enthusiasm for her future. Even  if you hate it, let your daughter have a say. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

You want to keep your grown daughter from living her own life by telling her she'll suffer bug bites is she goes?

But you left NY and went to CA because you found a new man, so that was okay? 

You were living your dream. Why not let your daughter live hers?

My daughter has been living her life doing exactly what she wants to do.  I left CA to come to AZ because she wanted to.  She can't afford to live her life without me and is giving me no choice.  I left NY because I found a new man?  We left NY because he was an engineer and we would have a better life in CA which we did.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@truffle wrote:

Your situation sounds unbearable @Lindsays Grandma fraught with anxiety and fear for your future.  If you daughter has stated she will always be there for you then she should be good on her word.  It is clear that you need her and cannot survive without her.  I don't blame you for not wanting to relocate as moving is always stressful nevermind that it's a location you find unacceptable.  You have to make it clear that you are not moving and that she, as your caregiver, will destroy not just your life but hers too as there is a co-dependency.  

This is way too heavy-handed for me.  I can't imagine saying that to anyone under any circumstances.

We don't really know the degrees of co-dependency here, and who has the "upper hand" so to speak in terms of both finances and emotional blackmail. We don't know if the daughter *could* actually pull up stakes and financially make it without her mother; perhaps she could, and that's what is disturbing the OP.

Or perhaps the OP could not afford to live on her own without shared expenses. 

There seems to be an expectation for the daughter to "take care of" her (emotionally & financially?), but only in a way that the OP is happy with.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and if having a roof over your head and sufficient financial and emotional support means moving where you don't particularly want to, that's the price to be paid.

Trying in whatever way to force the daughter to stay put and do what the OP wants will only lead to resentment and anger - and who knows what in the future. People usually fight hard against being controlled, and it wouldn't be pretty.

As we get older, less independent and more dependent on others for our well-being, we are much in their hands, like it or not. It's a trade-off. We don't always get to have it all our way. There's a price to be paid for that as well.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I really don't think there is anything you are going to do that is going to change her mind. It sounds as though she is pretty much set on it. Let me ask you this though. If you really have to talk her out of it, will you feel settled knowing you had to do that? 

You may not like it. I know I wouldn't, I don't care for FL. Not only don't I care for it, I hate it. It is my least favoritie state. Been there many times, my grandmother lived there and we went all the time to visit her and I have visited other friends and been to about every part of FL there is. I just dont' like it. I don't like NC either which is where I live. I prefer 4 seasons with a decent snow in the winter, that is just how I am.

You had your chance though, your daughter wants hers. If you don't want to move with her then you have to think of an alternative plan.

I don't mean to sound harsh but if you try and talk your daughter out of this she will resent you. I am super close with my daugher who just told me a few months ago they might be moving to Austin, TX. I am going to miss her, my grandson and SIL so much. I know I will. I raised her to be independent and see different places though so I know it is right to show her support and not only that but show enthusiasm for her future. Even  if you hate it, let your daughter have a say. 

My daughter has done everything she ever wanted to do. She wanted to move to AZ I did not but I did.  She can't afford to live alone, we share expenses and I am here for Lindsay.  I have never stopped her from doing what she wants, the problem is that she doesn't discuss what she wants to do, she flat out says this is what WE are going to do whether you like it or not.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

truffle wrote:@Moonchilde
Spoiler

We don't really know the degrees of co-dependency here, and who has the "upper hand" so to speak in terms of both finances and emotional blackmail. We don't know if the daughter *could* actually pull up stakes and financially make it without her mother; perhaps she could, and that's what is disturbing the OP.

There seems to be an expectation for the daughter to "take care of" her (emotionally & financially?), but only in a way that the OP is happy with.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and if having a roof over your head and sufficient financial and emotional support means moving where you don't particularly want to, that's the price to be paid.

Trying in whatever way to force the daughter to stay put and do what the OP wants will only lead to resentment and anger - and who knows what in the future. People usually fight hard against being controlled, and it wouldn't be pretty.

As we get older, less independent and more dependent on others for our well-being, we are much in their hands, like it or not. It's a trade-off. We don't always get to have it all our way. There's a price to be paid for that as well.

@Moonchilde

I agree with everything that you said.

Maybe the daughter is sick and tired of being her mother's caregiver.

Maybe she is burnt out catering to her mother's demands.

Maybe the daughter is ready to live her life on her own.

I think that the o/p is holding her daughter's past against her. That just because she couldn't afford to live on her own, does not mean that she never will.

If the o/p insists on stopping her daughter, not only does she run the risk of never seeing her daughter again, but also never seeing her granddaughter again.

Is it really worth it just to get your way? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@truffle wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I would not mind moving but FL is not on my list.  My daughter does whatever she wants to do, she doesn't ask, she tells me this is where we are going.  I came to AZ because she wanted to and shortly thereafter she realized it was a mistake and now she is going to make another one.  She is somewhat controlling and if 20 people gave the same opinion she wouldn't listen.  We can't afford to make this move only to have to make another one.  She said if we don't like Fl we can always move.  We are not wealthy people who can move from pillar to post.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

No she has never been to FL .  I went along with her decision to leave CA to live in AZ.   We share expenses because she doesn't earn enough to pay for all the bills.  The electric bills are out of sight due to running the A/C 24/7 for 8 to 9 months.  It was a mistake to leave CA and I would consider moving because I don't care for AZ but FL is not on my list.  I was the one who took care of Lindsay for thirteen years, taking her to day care and picking her up.  When she started charter school I am the one who got up with her to get her ready and take her to the bus and pick her up at the end of the day.  Helped her with her homework, etc.  My daughter certainly could not have paid someone to do all of this.  To those of you who think I am trying to stop my daughter from living her dream is ridiculous.  She is my daughter and Lindsay is my granddaughter and I have been here for them and will be until I am no longer here.  She wants to get out of AZ and picked FL.  I always hoped she would meet someone but it didn't happen and I don't know what she will do once I am gone, I'm no getting younger. She has a tendency to make choices and decisions without doing her homework. If she insists I have no choice.  At this point I am sorry I started this thread and if I knew how I would delete it.  She divorced her husband before Lindsay was a year old due to a drug problem he had and I retired shortly after and have we have been together ever since. 

Thanks. You and a few posters made this clearer for me. I thought she had the money to move on her own without your financial help and that you weren't able to live financially without her. Sounds like you both need each other to make financially, am I correct? I also hadn't realized she had never even taken a trip there. I would say with a 1-3 yr old that would be one thing but to pull a kid out of a school that they are happy in is a different matter when your daughter herself doesn't even know if she will like it, is a little risky. 

I would NOT go with the posters advice telling her how horrible it will make your life. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK