Honored Contributor

Re: HELP! Lock and Lock Won't Open

@sunshine45 wrote:

@judy0330 wrote:

I have had this happen many times and actually find it a positive -- especially for salad.  I open the tabs and insert a knife between the cover and the bowl and break the seal.

this is exactly how i break a hard to open seal......a dull knife and a little twist.

I agree with them.  I would take the back side of a butter knife and slide it in the areaw, not the tip of the knife but the back side of the knife (not the sharp side), then kind of twist.   I hope it makes sense.  It's the kind of thing that's easier to show than to tell.  Smiley Happy

That will usually 'break' the seal without hurting the seal or container.

If that won't do it, I'd try that hot water thing that another poster mentioned.

I would also never seal up food in them until it is completely cooled.  I do that as a matter of SOP anyway, but that serves a few purposes and will also keep the seal from getting sukked on like that.

I also don't use mine in the microwave.  I really wish they would stop telling people to use them in the microwave.   I got that set of square glass L&L with the vented seals that are specific for micro use and I really like them a lot.

Occasional Contributor

I have just opened the box - have not used yet but can't get lids off.  

Occasional Contributor

Thank you.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you!  I will try that.

Super Contributor

Seems something changed with Lock and Lock... Maybe they are cheaper made.  Some of mine won't seal after being on the top rack in dishwasher or just won't open anymore once sealed.  The one that didn't seal the other day I ran the edges under hot water for a few minutes and it sealed - but we should not have to always do this... I have tons of these pieces and once the tabs break off (which they do) the item is shot... What's going on... Any input???

Super Contributor

Any ones that are not used yet and won't open run under hot water to warm up - that always works for me...

Occasional Contributor

Thank you, SilleeMee (love that name)!  It worked!  I will also make sure that now that I've got the seal and lid off and everything washed, I will make sure the base and lid are ry before closing up again.  I appreciate hte tip.  I was ready to send them back but really like them so glad I didn't need to after all. 

Honored Contributor

Yay!  Smiley Happy  Glad you got 'em open.   Sometimes I wonder, with stuff like that, that it ends up in scenarios where the air pressure has changed so that's why they can start out like that.