Respected Contributor

@circles wrote:

This is such a sad thread...I almost wish i had not opened it...I have said many times...I could not walk through shelters to choose a pet...it would break my heart to pick one and have to leave the rest behind...those sad faces...

I live in an apartment where pets are not allowed...in my case thats a good thing...gosh knows how many i would have in here...

I have to agree with those posters who say its far better for people to take their pets to a shelter then dump them off on the road...i choose to beleive something has happened and that is why people have to give up their beloved pet...rather then call them irresponsible...

I agree.

I guess for me, the initial shock of seeing an animal confused and not knowing what is happening, is what gets me.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

"This is the reality of irresponsible pet ownership"

It is NOT irresponsible ownership and I take issue with that statement. Irresponsible ownership is dumping your dog on the side of the road and driving away because you can't be bothered; leaving them out to roam at whim where they can get attacked or hit by a car; not getting them spayed or neutered.  We don't know WHY this family had to give the dog up but saying that a person who chooses to bring them to a shelter instead of dumping or shooting them is irresponsible is....

IRRESPONSIBLE of the person saying it.

Geez.

@SahmIam - I agree with everything you said.  In my area we had someone who literally dumped a dog outside a shelter (that was closed she said).  The shelter had indeed closed 5 minutes before she got there, but the lights were on, the staff were inside and she was caught on camera making no attempt to knock on the door.

She simply dumped the dog out of the car and drove off, with the poor dog running after the car.  The shelter staff alerted the media and attempts were made to find the dog.  Sadly, three days later it was hit and killed by a car.

I am glad to say people were able to identify her and she has been prosecuted.  Of course, she had all kinds of excuses for what she did and then said she wouldn't make the same decision again (yeah, right - in other words, she'd do it somewhere she couldn't be caught).

Now THAT is irresponsible pet ownership.  (And I don't know about the shelter in the OP's news story, but the shelters where I am are nothing like that.  They certainly don't "smell of death"!  There are usually lines of people waiting before the doors open to adopt animals.)

If I had seen this lady dump the dog, I would have liked to have put her in my car and dumped HER along the road!!!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I believe dumping a pet into a shelter is cruel and abusive treatment and these "people" doing so should be punished and never, ever allowed to have a pet again.

I say "people" because these despicable beings do not deserve to be categorized as people.  If for some reason you're unable to care for a pet, you give them an adjustment period, e.g., bring them to a day care and let them mingle with others without you; or, board them for a weekend to get them accustomed for a separation.  Then, you interview and check around asking friends to see of there's anyone who could love your pet. 

Just imagine how we feel when we suddenly lose a loved one.  These pets have the same feelings along with feeling scared and abandonned. 

And, for those who dump a senior pet into a shelter - there's a special place in -ell for that genre!

This is just so wrong.

Many people who no longer want or can keep a dog are not going to pay for doggie day care or boarding to get them socially ready to go. They are either were never fit to have a dog, or have money or other problems that are making them give the dog up. It is simply unicorns and forrest faries to think that most people are going to have this within their abilities.

I live in the country and I see animals dumped all the time. It is not a pretty sight to see. A blind puppy that had neurological damage, a German Shepard that was shot in the hind quarters, a Boxer and a Greyhound that were dumped so emaciated they couldn't walk. All of these have come across my doorstep.

So being 'dumped' at a shelter where there is heat, water food and a cage, the chance for a rescue organization or someone who will love them the rest of their lives isn't that bad. Even if they are found to have to be put down, it is going to be much more humane than how they are going to die in the woods behind my house or on the road out in front.

Am I saying they aren't confused and afraid, of course not, but let's remain in the real world here, please.

Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

My heart hurts!

I hope this doggie found a good home.

I'm still astounded, in this day and age, at the number of people who treat pets as disposable!

Heck the world is full of people who treat their kids and others in their lives as disposable, the pets don't have a chance.

Esteemed Contributor

If this thread was started in the right forum section no one would have had to open this to read this sad story.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

And then there is the other side - people who go to the shelters seeking a new furry friend. I'm looking at the 7 year old Rat Terrier we adopted 3 months ago as she is currenly snoring in her bed.

Her person became very ill and could no longer keep her. Her sad loss was our happy gain.We feel like we won the doggie lottery!

And of the kitties we've adopted over the years only one was adopted as a kitten; the rest were between 2 - 10 years old. There are actually people that prefer to adopt older animals.

Yes, it's very sad that animals end up in sheters, sometimes euthanized.

I hope the dog in the story finds a new home quickly and I hope that I never have to surrender any of our animals.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

If this thread was started in the right forum section no one would have had to open this to read this sad story.

The title kind of says it all. I don't get how people read a title with the words this one has, and not get some idea about the fact that they might be disturbed by it.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio I totally agree. Is so callous for those to even be so judgemental , barking orders when they have not experinced a sudden change in thier station in life (loss of job, home, dire illness) and those who have couldnt possibly perform those haughty demands. Geez! I never had to drop a pet to a shelter but I also had a very sudden loss of life status ie health lost my home, job, all at the same time so I know all about the dire circumstances beyond control one can experience. I am wheelchair bound  and now have 11 acres but I will never adopt another pet, partially due to the judgement and shame so easily passed today, and partly due to not being able to perform the walks, afford the expense of a fence ect. Rurally here people oftentimes experience loss and there is no programs to help them place their pets. I am not so quick to judge.....is astounding to me as I was "dumped off" to CPS when only a few months old and not once did anyone voice the outrage expressed here. I can imagine I felt just about the same. Sigh I miss owning a dog.....at least can be happy for the fond memories. Is easy to pass judgement when one is well insulated from the harsh reality experienced by many unfortunate souls.. 

Respected Contributor

I wonder how old this pup is? We have a rescue dog that someone saw thrown out of a car on the highway in NC on December 17, 2013. Her leg was badly broken and they thought she'd need to be put down. She was only 2 months old! When we got her she was 6 months old and just got her last cast off! She is the most wonderful dog, best friends with our lab, and is the twin to the pup in the photos! God, I pray the evil ones who threw my girl out of that car window haven't had that pup all this time! I'm not a violent person, but if I ever meet who did that to my girl I can easily find my inner mean!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.