Esteemed Contributor

nail polish on something good?  How did you get it off?

Last night, while sitting up on my vanity, (I do this alot in order to see in my magnifying mirror for make up and tweezing - YIKES!) I was polishing my toenails and knocked the open bottle off the counter.  It spilled down the front of the vanity doors and onto the ceramic tile....both light cream color.  I did the best that I could with nail polish remover, but there is a lot still left on.  DH said he will work on it.  It was a coral color .....pretty on toes, not so much on the vanity doors and floor. 

If this has happened to you, what did you do???

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Occasional Contributor

This happened to me about 12 years ago..... My father (who was about 90 at the time) knocked my polish out of the refrigerator (it stays longer if you keep it in fridge).   I was not home at the time, but my husband got it cleaned up using acetone.  We did have tile floors and I cannot remember if it spashed on the lower cabinets, but it was there for a while as my Dad tried to clean up himself and made a mess.  I think you might check with a LOWES or HOME DEPOT before you use my suggestion.  I know the tile will be okay, but worry about your vanity.   Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

nail polish on something good?  How did you get it off?

Last night, while sitting up on my vanity, (I do this alot in order to see in my magnifying mirror for make up and tweezing - YIKES!) I was polishing my toenails and knocked the open bottle off the counter.  It spilled down the front of the vanity doors and onto the ceramic tile....both light cream color.  I did the best that I could with nail polish remover, but there is a lot still left on.  DH said he will work on it.  It was a coral color .....pretty on toes, not so much on the vanity doors and floor. 

If this has happened to you, what did you do???

@tends2dogs

I don't know if this will help you, but anytime I spill something like nail polish (and I have) I immediately flood the area with warm water to dilute it and get old towels to wipe down the item, or if it's on the floor (in my case a carpet) put the towels down and stomp on them to absorb the liquid as quickly as possible.  Sometimes I use cold water, depending upon what I have spilled. 

I've tried nail polish remover as well, but that is also hard to remove, and will leave an odor for a long time . . . then you have to remove that.

Whatever you do, do it fast, as quickly as possible.

I would suggest googling this . . . there's probably something online that works best.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@pattianne wrote:

This happened to me about 12 years ago..... My father (who was about 90 at the time) knocked my polish out of the refrigerator (it stays longer if you keep it in fridge).   I was not home at the time, but my husband got it cleaned up using acetone.  We did have tile floors and I cannot remember if it spashed on the lower cabinets, but it was there for a while as my Dad tried to clean up himself and made a mess.  I think you might check with a LOWES or HOME DEPOT before you use my suggestion.  I know the tile will be okay, but worry about your vanity.   Hope this helps.

@pattianne  Thanks for the reply.  My DH got the tiles clean with paint thinner - we have fans running at the moment trying to get rid of THAT smell!  As far as the vanity, the polish remover took off the brightness of the color, but left a slight pink cast YUCK!!  DH said he was afraid to rub on them too much for fear of ruining the finish.  I don't want to have the finish rubbed off.

Thanks.  It is surprising how far and wide a liquid can fly!!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

I have spilled nail polish on a duvet cover. I was never able to get it off - even using polish remover. Alhough with many washings the polish spill has faded, I've never found a remedy for a spill on fabric. I guess polish is basically a glue.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't done that but I've spilled pickle juice on my purse.............Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

yes.

Esteemed Contributor

My SIL spilled a whole bottle of lilac body spray on her carpet 5 yrs ago.......no matter how many times it was cleaned.....when it is humid outside....you can still smell a faint scent of lilac!!

Honored Contributor

the worst i have had is trying to pick up a glass of water and dropping the glass on counter top and onto the floor, still a mess to clean up.

My DD did drop nail polish on my old carpet in her bedroom many years ago. What a mess. She long moved out, but I don't even own nail polish any longer.