Esteemed Contributor

HAS ANYONE USED RENT-A-CENTER???

I have another thread on her about purchasing a refrigerator.  Ours died in our home down south, so we don't have one for when we first get down there.  While we figure out which model to buy, get it ordered and set up for delivery, we thought we would rent one.  This way we don't have to rush our decision and we can look around a little for what we want. 

My question is if anyone would share their experience with using Rent-A-Center, good or bad?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: HAS ANYONE USED RENT-A-CENTER???

I bought a rental-return washer and dryer set  from them years ago. I can't remember anything about the warranty but I do remember that the set was practically brand new and for the price it was a steal.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I have another thread on her about purchasing a refrigerator.  Ours died in our home down south, so we don't have one for when we first get down there.  While we figure out which model to buy, get it ordered and set up for delivery, we thought we would rent one.  This way we don't have to rush our decision and we can look around a little for what we want. 

My question is if anyone would share their experience with using Rent-A-Center, good or bad?

TIA

Be sure you check the agreement, don't take the word of the salesperson in the part about returning it.  

Respected Contributor

We've had one in our town for years and years, so it must be successful.  I think in certain circumstances like yours, it can make sense; short term rentals only.  If your rental turns out to be longer term, than you could wind up paying for a brand new appliance by the time you add up all the payments.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

TIA

I didn't realize they were still around, I used them in the 70s when I rented living room furniture from them. lol It was good but you have to watch the fees that add up and to buy the item could cost much more in the long run.

Honored Contributor

J.u.s.t saw this on my Facebook feed. 

Just like any story, there are 2 sides, the ugly version always gets published and it always comes out the err was on both sides of the fence.

Not allowed to post link, but it’s on the FB Dallas Morning News Page.

HTH.

EA215082-1825-4FF9-8592-C3714EC032BA.jpeg

Honored Contributor

We rented a really nice patio set the last summer we were in our house, we knew it was the last summer and we were looking at condos.  Buying was pointless.  It was a good experience.  There was no down side.  You don't have to rent, there's also a cash option.  My friend paid her refrigerator off in 3 months and they gave her the cash option.  

Honored Contributor

No, I never used them.  You rent appliances by the week... that adds up to a high monthly payment. The cheapest refrigerator in my area is over $20 a week....that’s $80 a month and even higher with taxes and fees.

I would rather just buy one outright.  Since refrigerators can be viewed on line with reviews available, I would just look and see what I was interested in.  Narrow it down to two and when you get to your destination, look at them in person and buy one.

Or you could look at them locally at a Lowe’s, Home Depot, Sears or other national appliance store, order it and have it delivered to you other location.  More often than not, those stores have them in stock ready to deliver ASAP.  

I recently ordered a chest freezer from Wayfair and had it delivered in a few days to our summer RV Camping site. It was easy and delivery was free. 

Honored Contributor

I have never used it but Daught in law did. it wasn't good experience. I don't live with them who knows if they followed the rules eventually they got to keep furniture.

careful on monthly payments is all i can say.

Respected Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

We've had one in our town for years and years, so it must be successful.  I think in certain circumstances like yours, it can make sense; short term rentals only.  If your rental turns out to be longer term, than you could wind up paying for a brand new appliance by the time you add up all the payments.

This was my aunt.  She had little money and when her TV died she rented one bc they made very low monthly payments but she probably paid two or three times what one would have cost to pay outright or charge and even pay off that way!