Honored Contributor

HAS ANYONE USED A DIETITIAN-NUTRITIONIST

[ Edited ]

I need to lose some weight-actually about 100 pounds or so-

I'm thinking of using a dietitian for help-not even sure if they take insurance.

I called one and she said-no-it's $225 for 1 hour consultation........

My previous post on feeling awful when I wake up has a lot to do with this.

I have to get a grip on this problem...

I feel so dumb, that I can't just go on a diet and lose the weight.

I lost over 100 pounds many years ago-but, I ate very little and walked a lot-5-6 miles per day and it worked.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Re: HAS ANYONE USED A DIETICIAN-NUTRITIONIST

@catlover wrote:

I need to lose some weight-actually about 100 pounds or so-

I'm thinking of using a dietitian for help-not even sure if they take insurance.

I called one and she said-no-it's $225 for 1 hour consultation........

My previous post on feeling awful when I wake up has a lot to do with this.

I have to get a grip on this problem...

I feel so dumb, that I can't just go on a diet and lose the weight.

I lost over 100 pounds many years ago-but, I ate very little and walked a lot-5-6 miles per day and it worked.

I would encourage you to join weight watchers.  From what I know, they teach A LOT about good nutrition.  Group support is a good thing too.

Honored Contributor

@catlover

No- but my BFF from childhood is an R.D.  I would totally seek out the services of an R.D. if I felt I needed them.  

Here is a link for free information:

http://www.eatright.org/resource/health/weight-loss/tips-for-weight-loss/women-get-nutrients-while-c...

Maybe you can do some of the legwork yourself.  Write out what you typically eat in a week, use a site (or Fitbit) to see how many calories you're consuming, and then you know how much to cut.

You can get a baseline by taking your ideal weight- say 150 pounds, and multiplying by 10-= 1500 calories is what you would take in to maintain that weight.

Then you could search mealplans in that range and get some recipe ideas.

Respected Contributor

I've never used one.   

There are are a lot of websites and apps devoted to tracking your meals, calories, water, and exercise.   They can be very motivating 

it might be worth it to have one visit to give you an idea of what you should be eating - give you a good jump  start to your journey

I wish you much luck!  

Honored Contributor

@catloverSome health insurance companies do offer nutritional support, but you have to find out if your policy covers it and if there's someone near to your home they accept.  Worth a call, especially since you don't feel well.

Also, like Noel7, I recommend WW.  It works well for me ---  as long as I follow their plans, but that's true for any regimen you chose.

Keep in mind that losing just 20% of what you need to lose gives you way over half of the benefits of losing weight.  Good luck and feel better.

Esteemed Contributor

Please check with your Insurance provider, many of them DO have nutritionist/dietitian in their networks.  Also, your plan may provide gym membership as well.

I wish you well on your journey. Smiley Happy

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That never worked for me but I would  not discourage your from that route.  But, if that's what you decide, look for a nutritionist who has a lot of experience in working with morbidly obese patients.  You don't want to waste your time and money on one who doesn't know much about the science of bariatrics.  Losing 100lbs is not like losing 20lbs.    

Honored Contributor

I have lost 100 pounds since I started following the eating/exercise plan recommended by my dietician, in conjuction with my bariatric physician.  I've seen them every three months for about a year and a half.  The most imporatant thing about losing weight is staying motivated to follow their recommendations.  I have never strayed from the plan, and it has become not a diet but the way I will eat the rest of my life.  A medication to curb my appetite was offered, but hasn't yet been necessary.

I still have 100 more pounds to lose to attain a healthy weight, and with their guidance I believe I can do it.  Best of luck whatever you decide.  I am proof that it can be done.  

Occasional Contributor

Catlover- I needed to lose over 100 lbs and started by seeing a nutritionist. I work for a hospital so the service was free, but even if I had to pay I would have. She saved my life with the education, tips and lifestyle changes I needed to make to be successful. My advice is do not hesitiate to seek the services of a pro.  I also felt "dumb" for not being able to lose weight. Once I was educated about food and eating, the weight fell off. As an aside, I think as a society we are "dumb" about food. Who teaches us? Where do we learn about good eating habits/ nutritional values? Yeah, I can read a label, but understanding what the body needs makes eating so much easier. Good luck to you Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Chrystaltree  has hit the nail on the head with that advice.  I wanted to lose some weight so at my annual check up I mentioned that to my Doctor. She set me up with a " so called"Nutritonist.  Short story short is eat less.  Okay I get that but her other advice was to get the Fat free and Diet type foods.  Honest to Gawd I was floored.  I was expecting help on how to eat healthfully  not directions to the diet Aisle of the supermarket!  Ever read a reduced fat lable?  less fat BUT MORE sugar and salt!  That's how they put the flavor back in.  Sugar free is not good either.  Your body is getting cues that sugar is coming and gears up for it only to be duped by  chemicals instead of the sugar.  You may actually GAIN weight.  DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH on the subject before you go to a nutritionist so you can actually both come up with a viable plan of action.  You know what you like or are willing to take on/ give up.  There are plenty of  diets out there to Pick and Choose from. I haven't used Weight Watchers but I like the Idea of information and support.  Cheers to you for making a start!