Respected Contributor

Gulf Coast Residents: tropical activity

I have been watching TWC all morning and it's looking ominous again for rapid development.

There is a system by Central America-and there is nothing to stop it from becoming a hurricane.

As of this writing, the spaghetti plots take it anywhere from Southeast La to Florida.

The big concern is that there is not much time to prepare for this, and as hurricane development goes, all the ingredients are there for rapid development.

Since its not crystal clear exactly where it's headed, we are all being urged to prepare.

We have been getting strong easterly winds the past couple of days across the peninsula, but it could certainly hit the panhandlers or North Florida.

At this time, there is a consensus of models that take it to Mississippi or Alabama, but we've seen tracks change before.

In the meantime, we are still waiting for an insurance adjust to assess damage from Irma...there is debris everywhere-and we haven't had garbage pickup on our weekend place since Irma hit...we have electricity, but there are so many sagging wires, I guess large trucks can't safely get through...

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: Gulf Coast Residents: tropical activity

I don't remember if I had on GMA or my local news channel but they were talking about this tropical storm which will be called Nate.  They said it's a week away and that it was trending towards Mexico???? 

Esteemed Contributor

Bad news, @Poodlepet2.  Our place in Collier County had garbage pick up for the first time on 9/25.  Also, the schools reopened on that day.  I guess the tree debris on the streets is many feet high.  That has got to be smelling in that heat.

Let's pray that this new system fades off the radar Smiley Happy.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva, it looks like the storm which hasn't even been named yet (it's name will be Nate) is going to hit this weekend. Louisiana was taken out of the cone and the last update I saw has it going more towards the east.

The big concern is that as far as time goes, there isn't much time to prepare.

So far, it looks like it's going to be a Catgory 1, but please notice I am not using the word "just"....

Florida is very vulnerable because we not only have debris piled high, but it looks like the power lines have not been totally dealt with...

Where are you located?

Hugs,

Poodlepet2, Punta Gorda Fl

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs,not to be the bearer of bad news, but there is an unorganized tropical system off the east coast...Flooding rains are expected in Collier...Miami Dade is also getting hit and the whole east coast is taking a beating from these strong easterly winds....you might want to check with friend and neighbors there to hear what they are being told....so far, no state of emergency has been declared that I know of, but I could see that happening. There are so many who went through flooding post Irma, and so many have structural compromises to their homes. It won't take too much to cause more damage.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

We're just north of New Orleans and they are telling us that there is still a possibility that we could be affected.  It has the probabililty of making a turn toward the East, but no guarantees yet. We stay ready with batteries, water, gas, etc. so it's not a cause to run out and stock up on anything.

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva, it looks like the storm which hasn't even been named yet (it's name will be Nate) is going to hit this weekend. Louisiana was taken out of the cone and the last update I saw has it going more towards the east.

The big concern is that as far as time goes, there isn't much time to prepare.

So far, it looks like it's going to be a Catgory 1, but please notice I am not using the word "just"....

Florida is very vulnerable because we not only have debris piled high, but it looks like the power lines have not been totally dealt with...

Where are you located?

Hugs,

Poodlepet2, Punta Gorda Fl

If the information I heard was that false, I must have had my local news on and not GMA.  Sad but true.

Esteemed Contributor

Local (NC) weather is watching this closely with the caveat that a lot can change between now and Monday but also warning to expect a lot of rain.  This is the cone of uncertainty being shown on the 6 p.m. news.

cone graphic

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

The storm is trending toward the Yucatan in Mexico then it will continue north in the Gulf towards the US.

Don't even want to think about it.  The area I am in looks pretty much like it did before but that is not the picture everywhere in Florida.  Some areas got hit much worse than we did.

One tree down on 301 in at least 2 feet across.  Really makes you wonder how much force it took to take it down.  Other areas don't have a leaf off!  

That is the nature of hurricanes.  They are a series of twisters, not one big wind blowing in a circle!

Super Contributor

@Poodlepet2 thanks for posting this, it was not even on my radar! (figuratively)

I had to sort of tune out from the news for a while so this potential storm was a bit of a surprise. Wasn't this about the same time as Matthew too last year? I need to go look that up.

Never mistake kindness for weakness