Respected Contributor

Re: Growing Up Did You Eat Out A Lot

We did not eat out often when I was young.  If we did, it was at a diner that was right up the street.  My Dad did not eat seafood or chinese food...ever.  Sometimes we'd order pizza.  McDonald's was a treat, and not very often.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

yes.  we ate out at Kentucky fried chicken... McDonald's, Taco Time... etc....and at restaurants for dinner as a family too. It was the late 1950's and 1960's... fast anything was not considered bad back then. 

In fact I never remember anyone talking about high cholesterol or such. You just ate food because it tasted good.  I am glad that as a child I was able to indulge in everything Yummy without guilt as now as an adult I am very hard on myself and do not allow myself any pleasures in food at all.....

@SeaMaiden 

I was talking about cholesterol and HDL/LDL Ratio, back in the mid-late '60's. McDonalds wasn't around till the early '60's. Fast food before that was at drive-in restaurants, were I worked from 7th grade until I quit high school, the 1st time.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Hardly ever....

Respected Contributor

Rarely. I was lucky if it was once a month and then it would be fast food not a regular restaurant.
Esteemed Contributor

My Mother returned to teaching when I was 10 so there were many meals out during the week and always after Church. A frequent restaurant was Hot Shoppes ( Mighty Mo, orange freeze or hot fudge ice cream cake).  There weren't many great restaurants in the 50s, early 60s but I continued the tradition after I left home and spentv12 years in Europe and Asia; as A result, I'm not a great cook ( neither was my Mother). Now we have cut back on eating out (1-2 times A week; more fast food than not).  DH is pretty good in the kitchen and likes to cook.

Honored Contributor

The closest we ever came to that, had to be church functions.  No wonder I couldn't think of going anywhere. But the food was the greatest!!!!!  We went to family get-togethers.  Actually, you can't miss something you don't have.  But we were all very happy with that arrangement no doubt.  

Honored Contributor

This topic brought up another memory ....  I must have been about 5 or 6 and was in a nice restaurant for lunch after church. 

When the meal was over and we were leaving, my dad left money on the table and walked away.  It was the tip for the waitress, which I had never heard of ... and thought my dad had lost his mind.   Woman Surprised

As we were walking out the door, I couldn't handle his "mistake" and ran back and grabbed the money off the table, then ran to give it back to him!  LOL

Of course, he put it back, and we had conversations for WEEKS about leaving money laying around in restaurants.    (I was reminded of that for years).

Hey, I had never heard of "tipping", and couldn't believe people actually did that!  lol

Honored Contributor

Restaurants were not in the family budget, but we enjoyed my mom's and grandma's cooking during picnics in the park. 

Honored Contributor

We occasionally got to go to McDonalds or the Pizza Hut.

Once, when my dad got a promotion, we got to eat at The Sizzler, which was considered pretty fancy for us!

Honored Contributor

My dad delivered milk and he would take the family to JOE'S for hamburgers,  Kay &  Joe's for Pizza but when I was about12, we would go out as a family to my mother's friend restauarant (the best fried chicken) alsoo steaks, etc.  Every table would receive a sampler plate with cottage cheese, red beets, different veggies. 

kindness is strength