Honored Contributor

Re: Growing Up Did You Eat Out A Lot

We never ate out. We were dirt poor and didn't have the money to even go to McDonalds or Henry's when they had 10 cent hamburger wars.

A couple of times, Mom and Dad would take just the birthday kid to dinner. I'll never forget the 2-3 of times I got to go. With 6 younger siblings, it was great to have tthem to myself for an hour.

Honored Contributor

No - never.  We were not well off, to put it mildly.  We did not even know what it was to eat out.  Even if there would have been fastfood places around us when I was young, such as McDonald's, etc., we wouldn't have been eating there, as there was no money for such things.  Looking back, I realize it was a good thing because even though we often had to eat things we really didn't care for, we were eating home-made meals which were very healthy.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We never ate out.  I only got to eat out if I was visiting relatives for a week or so in the summer.

Honored Contributor

yes.  we ate out at Kentucky fried chicken... McDonald's, Taco Time... etc....and at restaurants for dinner as a family too. It was the late 1950's and 1960's... fast anything was not considered bad back then. 

In fact I never remember anyone talking about high cholesterol or such. You just ate food because it tasted good.  I am glad that as a child I was able to indulge in everything Yummy without guilt as now as an adult I am very hard on myself and do not allow myself any pleasures in food at all.....

Respected Contributor

We ate out occasionally when I was a child.  We lived in a rural area, but even if we hadn't, Mom (or Dad) would have still cooked.  We went on lots of day trips--sometimes 1-day, sometimes 2-3 days.  Occasionally, we would have big trips through several states.  Mom was a teacher and wanted to expose us to different areas of the country.  I am forever thankful for that. My husband didn't grow up doing that, so he doesn't really like to travel, which I have sorely missed.  Getting him to travel a few hours from home and stay overnight somewhere takes some arm-twisting, but I digress.  Even though we live in the third largest city in our state, we rarely eat out.  I love to cook, and my cooking is as good as, if not better, than most restaurants.  Plus you have the cost and the calories when you eat out.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I cannot recall ever eating out as a family at a restaurant, because there were so many of us and a younger brother who was so picky and would cry if there wasn't something to eat that he liked.  On occasion my folks would order Chinese food at a local restaurant to pick up and bring home.  Mom didn't drive, if she had to do clothes shopping, etc., she would gather all (5) of us siblings and we would walk blocks and blocks to get to the stores, but she always treated us to french fries and a soda at a local burger joint before coming back home, we always looked forward to that.  Those were the good old days!

Respected Contributor

I am an only child and my parents did take me out to eat fairly often.  We went to some very nice places as well.  I refused to order off a kid's menu as I had a pretty sophisticated palate.  I was a tiny child and the wait staff would always question my parents about me ordering off the adult menu figuring I would never finish my meal but I surprised them and always did.

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 my mother told me her aunt took her there when she was young, she was so amazed by the way you got your food, she enjoyed her time with her aunt. 

Valued Contributor

No. Never went on vacations where we'd stay overnight either.  We did go on day trips and we always had a picnic basket and cooler in the back seat.  The first time I/we ate in a restaurant (other than a wedding or something like that) was when I was in my first year of college and my parents came to vist for the weekend.  I still rarely eat out but I do take out for some things that just don't taste the same when I make them at home like Asian or a good pizza.

Trusted Contributor

We always went out to eat after church.  There was a restaurant inside of our local Holiday Inn that had a wonderful Sunday brunch.  The chef, his name was Sammy and he wore those tall chef hats, was from the south and his cooking was wonderful.  We would sit in our Sunday best clothes and enjoy the wonderful food.  I have a picture of my brother standing by the sign outside advertising the brunch - "Sunday Brunch - $4.99".  (It was in the early 70's).