Respected Contributor

Re: Grocery store over charge

@sidsmom wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

Do those of you who check,your prices at the cash register and point out errors write down the price of everything as you put items in your cart?  How do you know what the price is,supposed to be?

That's a good question, and the answer is, "I just know".  I'm not particularly good with numbers, but I always know how much items are because I look at the price of everything before I put it in my cart.  And I'm very aware of 4 for $10, and offers of that type.

I have a hard time retaining and remembering numbers in general, but for some reason as items are rung up, I know how much each of them should cost.

And no, I don't write down anything.  There's no need.

@NYC Susan

I read somewhere if you assign $1 to every item in your cart,

it’ll be close to the final amount.  Have you ever tried that?

Uh yeah - if I then multipled it by 4. 

I'd just like to add that my DH is in Puerto Rico for a mission trip. The island is devastated. No electricity- the food is rotting. Little gas. Housing flattened. Trees look like toothpicks. 

Being "inconvenienced" because you were overcharged $2 on broccoli and lashing out at cashiers needs to be put in perspective.  

Honored Contributor

@Andrewsgrandma wrote:

I retired from Safeway a year ago. Did my time with Safeway, 40 years. liked my job until albertsons took over. Safeway is NOT Safeway any longer. It's albertsons. They work their people into the ground. The pricing people have responsibilities that you would not believe. More often than not 1 person has the responsibility of pricing for the entire store.  We're talking pricing and signage of over 15000 items that changes daily.They can easily work 15 hr days just trying to keep up and still not be done. Albertsons ruined Safeway. Employees are beat into the ground and frazzled. The morale is shot. Communication within the stores is shot so if you report a pricing error it might never reach the pricing manager. 

@Andrewsgrandma  Thank you for sharing.  I guess you should know what goes on after 40 years with Safeway!! Congrads on your retirement and enjoy the rest of your life! What are your plans?

I guess the good thing with shopping is that there are other stores to take our money gladly and the competion is FIERCE!  So unless a store gets issues fixed a consumer finds frustrating... that store is going to lose business... get 10 20 or 100 plus customers who stop shopping at your store you are going to start losing a lot of money. 

I think with grocery shopping the customer better be treated as KING  and have their say in how they want the shopping experience to be, or you are going to be out of business in a few years... and now with Amazon in the picture, Albertsons/ Safeway better start improving their customer experience or they are going to be kicked to the side. 

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

Unless I buy something that is BOGO or similar, I don't check my receipt or watch as the items are scanned.  I don't know what the price is supposed to be of every item in my cart.  Even if I did notice when I put it in, I would never remember by the time I got to the checkout :-) 

@VanSleepy   That is your choice... but to me $5 is $5 and I am not going to give it away to any store because they make a mistake, 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I work parttime in Customer Service in a grocery store, a midwest chain.  Corporate identifies the ads and sale prices.  But if barcodes don't match exactly, the sale price doesn't always ring in.  We have a whole team of people who have to update prices for sale prices and sometimes things get missed.

More often than not, the customer purchased the wrong brand or type, such as organic vs regular, or a specific type vs the sale type.  But we'll usually honor the sale prices if they have the receipt.

Be patient.  It's not the store's fault 99.9% of the time.  

Take your receipt to customer service and they'll gladly fix it for you.

@CalminHeart   This issue I have is not about going to CS and fixing it for me.... It was that I went a week prior with this  overcharge and told the CX person that they needed to fix the price mistake IN THE SYSTEM...  and a week later I go back and get charged over 100 percent AGAIN 

It's still the same thing.  Vendors change barcodes like you and I drink water.  They rarely tell a store/chain about the new barcode.  If the new barcode isn't in the system, the sale price doesn't ring up.   

@CalminHeart    Broccolli does not have a vendor... this is  produce. Please read the thread before you type.

Of course broccoli has a vendor.  Where do you think it comes from

@CalminHeart   The broccoli I had the issue with had no bar code ON IT.    It was just loose broccoli.  I am sure that the cashier puts in the code for BROCCOLI  at the register... and in this case she did.  The price for the broccoli was wrong in the system... and did not correspond to the shelf sign or the weekly ad.   So whoever puts the prices in the system for the week  etc, put in the wrong price per pound. 

I let them know about the error a week prior... went back a week later and was still charged the wrong price... double that of what the broccoli was suppose to be.     It is the stores responsibility to make sure the prices are right and not have an advertised price WRONG IN THE SYSTEM FOR OVER TWO WEEKS.  Not the cashiers fault.... but when it is brought up to tell the manager that this price is wrong and it is not fixed for two weeks, that is a lot of customers paying double for an item unless they notice the double over charge and go back to the store. I am sure Safeway over charged many people on this item.

Esteemed Contributor

I still have not received a answer to my question about how people keep track of the prices of items in their grocery cart so they know if they are overcharged at the register. IF you purchase 20 items do you write each item down on a list with the price next to it and then how do you scan the list so fast as to find the item the cashier is ringing just as they are ringing it to check it on your list.?

Honored Contributor

I check my receipt BEFORE I LEAVE THE STORE. Always  I also watch as everything is being rung up.  Not everyone does this... my husband is one of them.  If I did not check the receipt when he comes home, we would lose out on many dollars of overcharges.  

It is important to me to not throw money away.  I am not a millionare but I am  very comfortable...  and that is because I respect the dollar and do not throw away my money.   

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I still have not received a answer to my question about how people keep track of the prices of items in their grocery cart so they know if they are overcharged at the register. IF you purchase 20 items do you write each item down on a list with the price next to it and then how do you scan the list so fast as to find the item the cashier is ringing just as they are ringing it to check it on your list.?

@KathyPet

i generally DONT, but i i do know when i go into the store what i am buying that is "a great deal.".....or perhaps i noticed a sale sign next to the item. for example, if i buy cookies and that cookie i knew was buy one get one free, but it didnt ring up that way, i would have said something right then and there....."oh, those are supposed to be buy one get one free." if i see a sign that says three jars of pickles for $6 and they all ring up as their regular price, then i make sure i say something right then and there as it is ringing up.

with the broccoli example, if i had seen how much it was supposed to be due to a sign or an ad, then i would have specifically watched for that as it was ringing up.

if i dont catch it until i get home. i make a phone call immediately and i ALWAYS keep my receipts.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

Unless I buy something that is BOGO or similar, I don't check my receipt or watch as the items are scanned.  I don't know what the price is supposed to be of every item in my cart.  Even if I did notice when I put it in, I would never remember by the time I got to the checkout :-) 

@VanSleepy   That is your choice... but to me $5 is $5 and I am not going to give it away to any store because they make a mistake, 

Of course you wouldn't.  Nor would I.  I'm saying I don't know what the price is supposed to be on every item I put in my cart.  If my tomato sauce rang up at $1.89 and the price on the shelf was $1.69, I wouldn't know.

Honored Contributor

@Lynnster67 wrote:

At my grocery store, if an item rings up incorrectly, it's FREE!!!

PS:  I hate Safeway ... no matter when I go, they NEVER have enough registers open.  The only reason to ever set foot in there is b/c my local Safeway happens to have its only beer/wine license in my county (It's illegal for grocery stores in MD to sell beer/wine, but Giant and Safeway each have 1 license that was grandfathered.).

@Lynnster67

Hmm ...  I find just the opposite to be true at mine .... they open another register at the drop of a hat .... or when even one extra customer gets in line, lol.   My guess is that it's about the payroll budget your store has.   Just speculating.

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

Of course you wouldn't.  Nor would I.  I'm saying I don't know what the price is supposed to be on every item I put in my cart.  If my tomato sauce rang up at $1.89 and the price on the shelf was $1.69, I wouldn't know.

@VanSleepy  I see. I guess I always know what I am paying and the price of everything I buy..  I have always been like that.