Esteemed Contributor

I have spent A TON of money on groceries recently.  I used Instacart a few times and the prices of items are higher apparently (for some items) when you use that service.  At least that is what they are telling me.  The fees for service and tip are high too but I buy quite a bit due to only ordering once in a while and getting extra items for my mom.  I also ordered some large quantities of things like detergent so I won't be rebuying for a few months.

I like to price shop when it comes to groceries but I've had to let that go and pay up during the pandemic.  I've paid a premium for delivery of items.  I'm going to try to slow down the purchasing over the next month if possible.  

Trusted Contributor

Most ppl are in the same circumstances. We pay for the convenience of our groceries being delivered. If I understand correctly, even if you were able to go to your local grocery store, they don't encourage you to look around, they want you to get what you need and get out of the store. I think delivery is one of the things the stimulus checks are supposed to cover.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

Most ppl are in the same circumstances. We pay for the convenience of our groceries being delivered. If I understand correctly, even if you were able to go to your local grocery store, they don't encourage you to look around, they want you to get what you need and get out of the store. I think delivery is one of the things the stimulus checks are supposed to cover.

Did you get a stimulus check?  I haven't received one yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Kroger/Dillons stores have free pickup.  And we can use coupons.  They also still have their Wednesday sales flyers with reduced prices on certain items.  Do you have any Kroger stores in your area?   Or call your local grocery stores to ask if they have free pickup services.   

Some grocery prices have gone up -- I expected that due to shortages and shipping problems.  Also, our store has not been well stocked in canned good or paper products.  So I don't receive every item I order.   But I'm not paying delivery charges or tips.  My grocery bill has stayed about the same.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery bills

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

I have spent A TON of money on groceries recently.  I used Instacart a few times and the prices of items are higher apparently (for some items) when you use that service.  At least that is what they are telling me.  The fees for service and tip are high too but I buy quite a bit due to only ordering once in a while and getting extra items for my mom.  I also ordered some large quantities of things like detergent so I won't be rebuying for a few months.

I like to price shop when it comes to groceries but I've had to let that go and pay up during the pandemic.  I've paid a premium for delivery of items.  I'm going to try to slow down the purchasing over the next month if possible.  

@Snoopp 

I have been using Instacart for 2 years now, I bought the yearly Express Subscription---it worked out to $9 a month, plus the $2 service fee, and I dont pay a delivery fee due to my subscription. It was worth it to me, especially for the heavy items....

I only buy what I need for the next 10 days....sometimes I get stuck with the larger products like the HUGE laundry soap or dishwashing liquid....but at least I wont need it for awhile....But actually with Instacart, even though some prices are higher, I've actually lowered my grocery bill even with tip because I don't impulse buy, put together menus and carefully shop and consider what I'm purchasing....I have used the Instacart coupons too....good deals like $3 off laundry soap. $2 off toothpaste...and other great coupons...

Now a friend of mine that also uses Instacart finds it too easy to shop from her chair and orders practically everything in sight....LOL!!! and yep her grocery bill is HUGE!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery bills

[ Edited ]

We do our own shopping and right now if we need something or will be needing something soon, we buy it if we see it in the store.

Normally we would wait for a sale but who knows if we will see or be able to buy it when we will need it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt  I felt like I bought essentials only, nothing but food items.  It just adds up fast!

Oh well, I'm happy they offer the service.  I was lucky to get a slot since they are usually booked solid.  

The grocery bill just stings when you see it, especially coming on the heels of my HUGE property tax bill.  Ugh.

Respected Contributor

We're spending more on groceries, for sure. And more on restaurant takeout (we want to support our favorite places).

But I'm spending a lot less on clothing, movies, and other entertainment. 

I think it evens out. At least, I hope so. Man Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

Have not been inside a store for a while, but I can see the prices changes with pickup.  Guess we are captive audience.  Swear I check the milk level in the latte now.  And then there is TP.....

Esteemed Contributor

My food bills are up just slightly.

I still buy my own at the supermarket and Aldi, going every week-10 days, usually picking up just several basics. My supermarket is not printing a sale flyer and prices are up on most items, if you can find them on the shelves. Some items are on sale. I go during the last half hour of the day. Quick in & out last night.

Aldi seems to be stocked better. Good that it's a smaller store where I can get in & out quickly.