Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Amazing the signs by the iceberg lettuce says “eat well, be happy” ...nothing in iceberg lettuce means you are eating well...

It's relative. 

It's definitely eating well if you compare it to a snickers bar or a bag of chips. 

It might not be the optimal food in vitamins, minerals, fiber etc., but  there is "good" food, there are "bad" foods, and then there are many that fall in between, being a much better choice than the bad foods. Iceberg lettuce is one of those 'better than some things' choices, and I'd never knock it when someone chooses it.

Esteemed Contributor

It is not all about running to 2, 3, or 4 stores every week.

You certainly do not have to buy huge amounts of one item to be a saver.

I do not shop at Club stores like Sams, none in my area anyway.

It is about taking time, looking thru sales circulars, knowing what you want

and need, not buying tons of extra stuff on a whim, etc.

People can save and not act like it is the toughest thing to do at stores.

Respected Contributor

I guess I just don’t pay that much attention to prices. I’m only shopping for myself and my priority is the quality of the food I’m buying. I do get weekly e-mails from a couple of stores and will buy extras of things for short term storage in the freezer if there’s a special promo or sale, but that’s about it. My mom used to go all over town just to save a buck and it drove my dad crazy. He could never get her to understand she was spending more for gas than she was saving on whatever it was she was chasing down. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery Prices

[ Edited ]

I do not have time to run around to multiple grocery stores unfortunately.  So I pick one store (or 2 for specialty items) and yes, I notice the prices but I don't spend a lot of time on it.  I just try to shop wisely.

ETA - I do not like frozen meat - so I would never buy a lot and freeze it.

Contributor

With climate change, food prices will probably continue to increase.  With the recent flooding in Nebraska we will probably see more increases this year.

Esteemed Contributor

@threecees wrote:

It is not all about running to 2, 3, or 4 stores every week.

You certainly do not have to buy huge amounts of one item to be a saver.

I do not shop at Club stores like Sams, none in my area anyway.

It is about taking time, looking thru sales circulars, knowing what you want

and need, not buying tons of extra stuff on a whim, etc.

People can save and not act like it is the toughest thing to do at stores.

I agree.

I don't think it has to be an overwhelming process with complicated strategies.  A lot of it is being aware of prices, shelf life, etc, and using common sense.