I've never heard anyone say "Do not you"

Respected Contributor

Re: Grammar Lovers and Experts...

@bri20 wrote:

I've never heard anyone say "Do not you"

Maybe Shakespeare...or Yoda.

Esteemed Contributor

After the safety issue had been addressed due to its importance, I would have been a little perturbed with a DIL correcting my grammar. I would never have entertained the thought of correcting my MIL's grammar, no matter how necessary it seemed. In fact, I wouldn't correct anybody's grammar. I recognize errors, but nobody is paying me to be the grammar police.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

First, I would have a BIG cocktail. Then I would have used do not next to each other, since the contraction for do not is don't. 

Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

After the safety issue had been addressed due to its importance, I would have been a little perturbed with a DIL correcting my grammar. I would never have entertained the thought of correcting my MIL's grammar, no matter how necessary it seemed. In fact, I wouldn't correct anybody's grammar. I recognize errors, but nobody is paying me to be the grammar police.

I understand what you are saying. I wouldn't have corrected my MIL either. My DIL actually is very sweet. She and I discuss grammar rather frequently just because she has a degree in it, and English was always one of my favorite subjects in school. It kind of drives my husband nuts when we get into a grammar discussion, but it drives me nuts when he and my son discuss football...so we just tolerate these little discussions.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Chelsea Handler has a grammar segment on her new show on Netflix. The skit is introduced by Kelsey Grammar, LOL. On the last one she did a riff on how there is no such word as" irregardless". She does it in a funny way, and I appreciate it because my gaammar knowledge has deteriorated over the years.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I would probably have been a smart aleck and addressed him as "Your Highness" for the rest of the evening....it's the way we roll.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Do you not think or don't you think are both perfectly fine.

Do not you think  - sounds like Yoda or some other bad translation of English.

Respected Contributor

It's charcoal, lighter fluid, toss match, run.  Your DIL is correct by the way. 

I have used the phrase "do you not". "did you not" or "will you not" many times in  my life even though it is incorrect.  Usually  I was angry or annoyed at (1) kids, (2) husband, or (3) kids and husband at the same time since they all think alike because they are all male.

Respected Contributor