Honored Contributor

How do these work ? I haven't got my stimulus yet, this one is coming by check they said. Hopefully, paper check I can take to bank, but, if it comes by debit card how do you use them ? 

In person at store ?  can you use on stuff U want to buy like from QVC, etc. ?   I know nothing about debit cards.

Don't know why they're even sending me a check, first check went into bank account. Now, I have to watch for it.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE  Most likely you can take the card to your local bank and they can switch the funds from the card to your bank account (in person).  I once got about 2 weeks worth of state disability pay, and they sent me a card too and that is what I did.

If you get the card and deplete the funds, be sure to keep the card, because if there is more money coming in the future, they may just add the amount to your existing card and I was told the card is "active" for several years.

Sounds to me like it's an added expense for the government, but perhaps you have to create an account in order to use it based on your own information, so it could be harder for people to steal your funds (instead of just stealing your mail and cashing the check). 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I use a traditional bank issued debit card for everything.  It works just like a credit card.  For groceries or retail you have to have a four digit numerical pin that you choose during card set up on the phone.  If gov is different I'm sure someone will chime in.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE , there's something about this on Microsoft News, if you get that, though it didn't really say much. I understood it to say if your bank account wasn't valid as of 12/20/20, then a check would be sent instead of direct deposit. I'm sure you would know if your bank account was valid or not, so probably a moot point for you. Anyhow, check it out.

Honored Contributor

Our latest stimulus check was deposited in our checking account, just like the first check, the same account that our tax refunds get deposited in.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE Keep your powder dry...........haven't seen mine either.

Debit Card.........use mine often for purchases; but for this Govt thing I would take card to bank and let the $$ roll over to my checking account.

Honored Contributor

You can take it to your bank and have them deposit the full amount into one of your accounts that you have with them.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

You can take it to your bank and have them deposit the full amount into one of your accounts that you have with them.

I did this yesterday. There was no fee.

Valued Contributor

@SharkE - if you have online access to your bank accounts (and I know many people do not), you can just transfer the $$ from the debit card to your chosen bank account.  My mom got one of those cards the first time and had no idea what it was.  We just converted it over to her bank account without having to go to the bank (which were all locked down at that time anyhow and even now, you have to make an appointment for a lobby visit).  Anyhow, you seem to be getting good suggestions here. 

Esteemed Contributor

I got the debit card last year and transferred into checking account on line.  Didn't need to go to bank.  Followed info tht came with card