Trusted Contributor

Re: Goodwill throws Donations in Trash!

I don’t care whether they addressed the problem or not. I’ll never, ever give another donation to them again. I thought it was strange that if you had a lot of furniture, or clothes in new or really good condition they wouldn’t even come to pick it up. Salvation Army will always pick up if you have a lot of donations. I will only give to Salvation Army in the future. 

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

There is a yellow  container ,we see alot of them here, planet  is the first name ,can not remember the last word at moment, all donations i have read goes to a cult, i  am so shocked by this.

It's NOT true, their name is Planet Aid!

I sure hope it is not true, i read it somewhere, check snopes,maybe that is where i read it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Salvation Army here will only pick up furniture if it is in very new condition and any wood furniture pieces must be real wood. Even if the furniture is wood, the inside shelves must be real wood also, not pressed wood. 

They inspect very carefully. 

Honored Contributor

This is not unusual.  I have mentioned on the forums before that Good Will as well as Salvation Army and other places do not want old, outdated clothing or anything that is not in good usable condition.

They do not help poor people out by giving them your donated items.  What they do is sell your donated items for cash.  Cash is what they need and that is their goal.

Many people who shop in their retail centers are not poor people or those who are down and out.  Most  people have a job and are making a decent living and are looking for a bargain.

If you don't want something because it is too old or outdated and if it can't be sold by you or a consignment shop, no one else wants it either.  These charities have to spend big money to dispose of donated items every year. They are wasting money to get rid junk donated when they could be using it to help people out.

Think twice before you donate unused items. If in doubt, throw it out.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it is possible some clothing is  indeed garbage that needs to be thrown. But?  There are articles about the cost of the textile industry and the expense of the discarded clothing. Even the cost of the process of distressing and washing new jeans.

I have a problem getting rid of rags, old teeshirts and PJs.Not wearable any more. No one wants them. I called car repair places and one uses paper towels and the other uses a company and sends them to be laundered. I gave some to a neighbor who works on collector cars as a hobby. Salvation Army did say they would take them. We will see? I used to donate to the High School Shop classes when I taught there.

I live in a poor area and there are several places for selling used clothing, a place run by Special Needs adults and they also sell bird related items like suet balls and bird houses and feeders. Our Humane Society also has a thrift shop and I save the nice items for them. I  had about six Dooney purses with the fabric logo I no longer used for example I gave to them.

I have always been leary of Goodwill as heard a few years ago the top management were not good people and greedy. Not sure exactly but it was going around to avoid going there???

JRT has commented about donating clothing to someone who can use them. She probably donates many shoes! LOL

With the rising costs of textiles and the expected  tariff increase, maybe this will change and used clothing in greater demand.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

There is a yellow  container ,we see alot of them here, planet  is the first name ,can not remember the last word at moment, all donations i have read goes to a cult, i  am so shocked by this.

It's NOT true, their name is Planet Aid!

I sure hope it is not true, i read it somewhere, check snopes,maybe that is where i read it.

@goldensrbest   @JaneMarple   Look up Planet Aid on Charity Watch.  It's not a good organization to donate to whether it's a cult or not.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack ,Thanks,  they are all around here, at walmarts, in front of business.You see them everywhere.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

This is not unusual.  I have mentioned on the forums before that Good Will as well as Salvation Army and other places do not want old, outdated clothing or anything that is not in good usable condition.

They do not help poor people out by giving them your donated items.  What they do is sell your donated items for cash.  Cash is what they need and that is their goal.

Many people who shop in their retail centers are not poor people or those who are down and out.  Most  people have a job and are making a decent living and are looking for a bargain.

If you don't want something because it is too old or outdated and if it can't be sold by you or a consignment shop, no one else wants it either.  These charities have to spend big money to dispose of donated items every year. They are wasting money to get rid junk donated when they could be using it to help people out.

Think twice before you donate unused items. If in doubt, throw it out.

@Carmie   I totally agree. 

Just because someone had old stuff to donate doesn't mean that Goodwill or any other charitable organization whats your old junk.  It costs them money and labor to sort though all of that stuff and I wouldn't be surprised if they got a lot of dirty smelly stuff too....they don't have the time or resources to clean items and make them presentable.

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf   My husband restores old cars and does bodywork and paints them as well.  He is always looking for rags and uses old clothing torn up.

The problem is that today's clothing is mostly polyester or a blend of cotton with polyester and not usable for this purpose.

Clothing made from natural fibers can be recycled, polyester plastic clothing ends up in the landfills where it will stay well into the next century.

i was was a child, there was man who would go door to door to pick up old unusable clothing.  He was called the rag man.  You never see that anymore.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in a neighborhood with 6 donation groups (and numerous drop off boxes sitting in strip mall parking lots). Every donation center has large trash containers and ones for recycle. Over the years of dropping off donations, I have seen a lot of junk. I know several organizations give their employees first pick and they pay for the items according to an acquaintance who worked at several of them. This is part of their compensation to supplement the low rate of pay and is helpful considering dire circumstances that many of these hard workers are trying to overcome.