Respected Contributor

Goodwill throws Donations in Trash!

[ Edited ]

This is crazy!   I started last year to donate to Salvation Army.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-watched-goodwill-employee-toss-donations-into-dumpster-2202227...

Honored Contributor

Re: Goodwill throws Donations in Trash!

Goodwill said they addressed the situation and disciplinary action has been taken. 

I wonder why the woman watched her stuff get tossed into a dumpster rather than say something?  I would have said something immediately and taken what I could back to donate elsewhere.

Trusted Contributor

I'm pretty sure Goodwill sells items given to them. I've seen ppl on eBay talking about the "finds" they get at Goodwill. I don't think the Salvation Army does, at least around here. I donate only good clothing, some in their original bags if they don't fit or I don't like. Once it's out of your hands, you may as well forget it, ppl will probably not donate them to victims of fire, theft or poverty, instead, they'll most likely be sold and the money will go into someone's pocket. I think that so I'm not surprised or concerned. Lots of times even organizations that started out with something good in mind are corrupt.

Trusted Contributor

The ppl running the organizations have first choice. Ugh, makes me not want to donate.

Honored Contributor

I haven’t read the article, but I have seen some of the things people drop off when I am dropping off. Things that should have been trashed. Absolute garbage. I guess it’s easier to let Goodwill get rid of it than having it go in their own trash bin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a yellow  container ,we see alot of them here, planet  is the first name ,can not remember the last word at moment, all donations i have read goes to a cult, i  am so shocked by this. PLANET AID, is the name.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

There is a yellow  container ,we see alot of them here, planet  is the first name ,can not remember the last word at moment, all donations i have read goes to a cult, i  am so shocked by this.

It's NOT true, their name is Planet Aid!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

Wow that is terrible indeed.  I've never donated to Goodwill but I do donate tons of stuff to the United Veterans Association and a couple of others that pickup from my residence.

It would make more sense if they didn't need or want them to contact other charities nearby or shelters.

Valued Contributor

This was ONE Goodwill location, one isolated incident. Please don't think that all of the locations do this.

Honored Contributor

I don't think they are alone.  Many of the thrift shops are so overwhelmed by the massive amounts of donations they've been receiving that they can't sell them -  even sometimes at 50 cents for a garment.  And you can pretty much forget about donating most books -  they sell so cheaply and so rarely that the shops don't make any money on them once they pay their rent even when the workers in their shop are all volunters.

Over 5 years ago, I played cards in a club that met in a small strip shopping center.  A thrift shop used the spacesd at either end of the strip.  One was the sales room where everything was carefgully organized and I don't remember much at all over $1.  The other larger room was filled almost to the ceiling in 4 or 5 rows of black bags of donations.  And then the shop closed --  and all the merchandise in both sites went to waste management.

And since then we've had the get rid of it if you don't get joy from it movement.  And the shop are even more filled.  I need some black capris just for walking -  I know in a few weeks, I'll be able to buy about 10 pairs for $1 for all of them -  I expect to find something usable and redonate the rest although I doubt they really want them!