Honored Contributor

"MAD, the long-running satirical magazine that influenced everyone from "Weird Al" Yankovic to the writers of "The Simpsons," will be leaving newsstands after its August issue.   Really.

The illustrated humor magazine - instantly recognizable by the gap-toothed smiling face of mascot Alfred E. Neuman - will still be available in comic shops and through mail to subscribers.  But after its fall issue, it will just reprint previously published material. [emphasis added]

The only new material will come in special editions at the end of the year.

DC, the division of Warner Bros. that publishes the magazine, said MAD will pull from nostalgic cartoons and paraodies published over the magazine's 67-year run."

-----From "Business Report"

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Goodbye To Mad Magazine

[ Edited ]

I LOVED MAD magazine when I was a kid. I’m not surprised to get this news but it still saddens me. The humor was fantastic!

PS. A reporter asked Mayor Pete if he agreed with people who said he resembled Alfred E Newman and was he saddened by the end of Mad Magazine...to which the mayor said that he had never heard of Mad and that it was likely a generational thing. Boy do 

I feel old!

Honored Contributor

Some family members and I were just talking about this magazine a couple of weeks ago.  Didn't know they still put it out.  I use to read my brother's mags for Spy vs. Spy. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I LOVED MAD magazine when I was a kid. I’m not surprised to get this news but it still saddens me. The humor was fantastic!

@Vivian   I had the same thoughts.

Honored Contributor

Aww, that makes me sad, I loved that magazine in my youth.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My sense of irony and appreciation of insightful and acerbic wit were nurtured by Mad.

So sad to see it bite the dust. 

Regular Contributor

Alfred E. Neuman reminds me of Chris Cuomo or vice versa. Good bye MAD.

Respected Contributor

Another one bites the dust.

I had no idea that Mad was still being published. I can't remember the last time I even saw it on newsstands.

Honored Contributor

@firestorm wrote:

Alfred E. Neuman reminds me of Chris Cuomo or vice versa. Good bye MAD.

@firestorm   Alfred E. N. always reminded me of Howdy Doody.

Respected Contributor

I, too, am sorry to see this magazine's demise.

I kept a subscription throughout our son's childhood.  It was a great way to entice him to read, which ultimately turned into a life long pleasure for him.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.