Honored Contributor

I could not care less if Sears disappeared.  We had a HORRIBLE experience with them on a washer about 15 years ago, and we would never buy anything from them after that.  ESPECIALLY an appliance. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

I will be 79 in January 2017 and I remember going to Sears & Roebuck (its name then) when I was six.  It was like going to Disney World.

Sad, sad, sad.

I remember getting my first sewing maching there when I was ten. It was a wonderful memory this morning.

Hope all is well and you are seeing family for the holidays!Heart

@Trinity11

Trinity, I can't count the many appliances and . . . yes . . . a sewing machine as well that came from Sears & Roebuck.  I had that machine for many, many years and it got used!!  When my girls finally bought me a new one in December 2004, it coincided with me coming down with RA.  I used it once or twice and then couldn't sew anymore.  I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life sewing, as I loved it so.  Now it sits in storage, brand new.

We will go to my same daughter's house on LBI for Christmas (as we did for Thanksgiving), sleep over Christmas Eve, so we are together in the morning.  None of my other girls cook (I mean seriously "cook").  I only wish I still could because I was a darn good one!

Reminds me . . . I have to show her how to cut up a turkey.  She mutilates it!  (Do I sound like a mom?)

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I keep remembering things about sears ,from years ago ,my dad always bought his tools there,when i was expecting my first son ,shane in 1971 i bought my clothes from there,and all the little terry cloth outfits for him,they had winney the pooh on them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Sears will always have a special place in my heart as it was such a part of my childhood.  My family bought everything there.  I can still remember getting my back to school clothes there and then stopping off at the wonderful candy counter that our store had.  I can also remember wheedling a black velvet skirt out of my mom as I absolutely had to have a black skirt for the Christmas pageant from the Lemon Frog shop and then remembering my mom's death stare at me as I was standing next to a girl that had on a plaid jumper . . . I did love that skirt . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I remember the clothing I bought with labels "THE FASHION PLACE"  and  "JR Bazaar". Wow, it seems so very long ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up with Sears since my dad worked there. H e retired about 1960. I think their appliances are great. I was thinking if I should geta new fridge since it must be 25 years old.

Kmart closed in our city and they hardly advertise as does Sears. I miss Mervyns. It was within walking for me. also I liked their clothes. Walmart took their place. I  only go fot cat food and a few other items. Target is a little further down the way but I don't care for it--too high but they give  money off for cat food and litter so I have a choice. You have to watch those dollars.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@charvale wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

This news bothers me in the sense that it indicates how bad our economy is right now. But truthfully, I won't be missing either one of those stores. Can't remember when I last stepped foot in those stores...it's been that long ago.

It's not the economy. Sales for the holidays are brisk in general. Sears hasn't kept up with the way people shop now. They've fallen behind and are reaping the results imho.

It's the result of a poor economy PLUS a number of other factors, especially shopping habits...i.e. internet.

We do not have a poor economy.  Do some reading, please.

Respected Contributor

I still have a steel drum washer from Sears, it's over 25 yrs old, and still works great.

But...they have closed a lot of stores in my area. My husband wanted to replace his  Craftsman tools,we had to cross the Ohio line to the nearest store.

Esteemed Contributor

@pommom wrote:

Oh dear.  Where will I go for Kenmore/Whirlpool appliances?

@pommom

That was my first thought !!!

Honored Contributor

Low wage jobs are not going to help the economy grow more. Retail industry is notorious for paying minimal wages, part time hours, few benefits because of part time hours. If lucky to get full time hours, it's not enough to live on due to the low wages.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼