Respected Contributor

I was such a dummy this morning. I went around back to bring my garbage cans to the front. Went to go back in the house and holy c r a p, I'd locked the darn door. Was muttering to myself and several 10 or 11 year olds were walking to the school bus. Anyhow, the one little girl asked what was wrong and I told her and she asked if she could help and I said thanks, but not much she could do. She walked to the corner and came back with the others all getting out their house keys to try and help me.Of course, they couldn't, but I couldn't believe they'd try and help this old lady they didn't even know. They've restored my faith.  The story ends with me having to wake up my neighbor to get my house key that they have for "just in case" Also, went to Walmart to have a couple keys cut. Now I have to figure where I can hide one outside.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for this.  What a great way to start the day on a positive footing!  Glad you had your spare with a neighbor.  

Respected Contributor

@781Florist 

Be careful when " hiding " the key....you don't want to be observed.

Suggestion: if you have a trash can with a flip up lid, try using a matching color tape to patch the key to the inside side of the lid.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

The vast majority of kids and young people are good, kind and decent.  Unfortunately, as people age, they judge all kids by the rotten eggs they see in the news.

Valued Contributor

This is really a heartwarming experience.  

Those kids were really sweet to try to help you.  

Honored Contributor

Sweet of them. Kind of sad they are all latch key kids. Even at Halloween, I'm impressed by the kids that stop for treats. Even the older ones are polite.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

The vast majority of kids and young people are good, kind and decent.  Unfortunately, as people age, they judge all kids by the rotten eggs they see in the news.

I so agree with you @chrystaltree .  There's some bad apples out there, but I also believe most kids are good.  

Esteemed Contributor

If you have a sprinkler system you can buy a fake pop up head and store the key in there.

Respected Contributor

If it's possible, you may want to hide your spare key someplace in the backyard rather than the front.  Criminals usually know the common places to look near the front porch area, and have no trouble finding a key. 

Honored Contributor

What an awesome story---really made my day!! So cute about the keys from the kids---Woman Very Happy