Esteemed Contributor

Going For Drive During Stay At Home Order.

I live in PA and we have a stay at home order.  On the 7:00pm news they said State Troopers will not just stop to inquire where you are going. They proceeded to say if you get stopped for speeding etc and are just out for a Sunday drive they can add violation of stay at home order as a second offense.

If you can go out jogging and hiking as long as you are 6ft. from someome why can't you be in your car if you are not getting out.

That makes no sense to me.

I can drive around here for miles and only pass 1or 2 cars on most days.

Respected Contributor

Re: Going For Drive During Stay At Home Order.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I live in PA and we have a stay at home order.  On the 7:00pm news they said State Troopers will not just stop to inquire where you are going. They proceeded to say if you get stopped for speeding etc and are just out for a Sunday drive they can add violation of stay at home order as a second offense.

If you can go out jogging and hiking as long as you are 6ft. from someome why can't you be in your car if you are not getting out.

My husband and I were just talking about this.  He read that someone driving around his/her neighborhood got fined.  You're in your own car, keeping your social distance.  I don't understand how this is any different than walking.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Good for you!

No, seriously, I mean it.

Go for it, I think you should.

I seriously doubt that the fuzz will stop you and harass you just because you're out driving around.

Enjoy your drive!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

We go for rides in our Honda side by side every few days about 5-6 miles or so and it’s refreshing. Our side by side has full doors and windows and a heater so it’s much like being in a small vehicle. 

I guess they figure people who are out walking, aren’t gonna walk across the country. Also, how would they prove someone is not, for example going to pick up meds or groceries, etc. I would think and hope that most people would go for a drive and keep their social distance, but there are a few who won’t follow the rules. 

Honored Contributor

some of our restaurants are staying open until 9 or 10.

our 7 -11 is still open 24 hours.

the bank drive thrus are open 24 hours.

dunkin donuts is still open 24 hours.

liquor stores are open until 9 or 10.

other places are open also...... "essential busineses"

we also have a "stay at home order," but it is not to stop people from going out to get their supplies or food, medical attention, or medicine.

"no Maryland resident should leave their home unless it is for an essential job or for an essential reason, such as obtaining food or medicine, seeking urgent medical attention, or for other necessary purposes."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My Mom's neighbor told her sometimes she just goes out for a ride

too. Guess you just have to have a reason ready, just in case you

are stopped for another resson, crazy for sure.

What are cops going to follow us to a store next???

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

Where do you live.  I am in California and no restaurant is open to sit and eat  all grocery store, 7-11 have short hours.  There is no food in grocery stores where I live,my granddaughter has to go to TJ a town over to get food.  Shipments are not coming in.  

we could go for a ride, but,any sections of the bigger cities are closed to thru traffic, and drives like 17 mile, pebble beach, Santa Cruz, etc.  beaches are closed  but cases of coved are low per capital because we have been at this since March 12

Honored Contributor

During our mayor's daily briefing today, he said that they are monitoring travel and were disappointed to see an uptick in cars in the area why we live.

I imagine that the fear is that more traffic equates with less attention to social distancing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I find it hard to believe that they will cite you for driving while uninfected. You are good to go! They are releasing prisoners, for goodness sakes!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@sunshine45 

Where do you live.  I am in California and no restaurant is open to sit and eat  all grocery store, 7-11 have short hours.  There is no food in grocery stores where I live,my granddaughter has to go to TJ a town over to get food.  Shipments are not coming in.  

we could go for a ride, but,any sections of the bigger cities are closed to thru traffic, and drives like 17 mile, pebble beach, Santa Cruz, etc.  beaches are closed  but cases of coved are low per capital because we have been at this since March 12

our restaurants are open for carry out, curbside, and delivery @shoekitty .. no eat in available.

we dont have any roads that are closed that i know of at this time.

i have not had too much trouble obtaining food from local grocery stores, sams club, big box stores, and convenience stores.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein