Honored Contributor

Re: Go Fund me and the Texas hairdresser, Shelley Luther

@Hoovermom wrote:

Have we forgotten the Mayor of Chicago who went to the hair salon because "she's in the public eye and is on national television and she cares about her personal hygiene"?  Why doesn't someone throw her in jail?  Look at the ones mandating what we do while their families carry on as usual.  We are the little people "do what I say, not what I or my family does".

You want the hairdresser's customers to be arrested too? Not sure whether you want people to be arrested for violating the rules or not.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I wouldn't let someone with this history near my head with a pair of scissors.

Me either. She probably doesn't sanitize her tools either. Disgusting.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Governors got to pick and choose what was essential, who is not essential...small business pay taxes and contribute to their community, just like big box stores....which are making a lot of money, since everyone is shut down.

In my town,  my dog was groomed, but I could not get my hair cut.  Mom and pop shops sell paint, garden supplies, etc. just like the big box stores...so why close down Main Street America?   The small shops will have a very difficult time keeping their business open in the future.

We were told to help 'flatten' the curve, we did that, we did not sign up to shelter in place for months.... 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

If people are willing to die for their grandchildren that's fine with me. However, I'm not willing to die for their grandchildren and I doubt I'm alone. 

@occasionalrain  I'm with you... If I pack it in, I pack it in, but I'm not willing to do it in deference to someone's kid or grand kid...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Hmmm, apologize to the judge...I stand with her.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda   The restaurant owner in Maine that tried to open but was forced to close after his liquor and restaurant license was revoked has a go fund me page..almost $100,000.00.   To bad others in the same business in his town did not open up the same day he did.  Maine has had very little virus in their state.  Their governor is loving her power.  

Honored Contributor

@happycat 

Just your very last sentence. Yes, the world right now is very different. As for the story in Texas? The lady could be me. What I saw was an arrogant judge using his position to go beyond what was necessary to belittle the accused.

Were I faced with apologizing for something(this was not a law) I did to help my family, I too would choose the same way. I made exactly the same type of decision when I was 14 years old in high school. 

Write a 500 word essay of "why I will never do XYZ", or face 1 more class after school for a month. My mom told me to write it, and I said "I did nothing wrong and will not admit to something I did not do". I was then 15 minutes late to work that whole month. My boss agreed with me.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

We are in the midst of the worst pandemic ever to our country and I can't believe that people want to play politics with human being's lives! 

The judge was on a power trip and the salon owner an arrogant citizen who has her priorities twisted!

73,00 people are dead, in some areas that's an entire town! What is wrong with this picture???? It's not just the elderly or compromised immune sufferers! Please don't justify their deaths. 

May God Bless Our Country.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

This woman broke the law, was given a chance reprieve and refused.  She deserved what she got.  As a self-employed individual, she was eligible for the $600/wk Unemployment Insurance.  She couldn't feed her kids on that?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

This is word of mouth but I've heard people who have long term relationships with their hairdressers are privately setting up appts. and getting their hair done.  It's informal, the hairdresser is opening the shop for this or that person they know is coming.  Apparently these hair relationshiips are very emotional, personal relationships for some people!

It's a bit diifferent from flouting the law and opening up for any Tom, ****** or Harry off the street.

But we don't want to be like Europe after WWII trying to woman-shame anybody who was friends with a German soldier for example.  You don't have to use any hair dresser you don't want to, but I have no doubt the hairdresser in Texas is competent and clean.  I think the sort of customers she'll be getting at this point in time are not the most careful people.  And I personally like that the state acted and stopped her.  She should have been more careful.  It's a pandemic, after all.