Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

She will probably donate it to charity.

That's the idea.  The award goes to great humanitarians to assist them in their humanitarian work.

Respected Contributor

She believes when people are in a position to help they should......

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

She will probably donate it to charity.

@KathyM23    The report I heard said that was a stipulation of her receiving the award.  It wasn't for her personal use.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Jeff Bezos Donates his riches

Jeff Bezos (the one who gave this money to Dolly Parton) for her various charities and philanthropic work ~ has done this twice before.

He gave $100MM dollars to Van Jones not more than a year ago.

The billionaire space race heated up on July 20, 2021, when Amazon founder and multi-billionaire Jeff Bezos traveled to the edge of space in his Blue Origin spacecraft. He followed fellow billionaire Richard Branson into this race, as Branson traveled to the edge of space a week prior (via NPR). If 11 minutes in space wasn't news enough for Bezos, at a press conference after the flight, he made even more news when he announced he was giving two people $100 million each to give to a charity of their choice. One of those people was Van Jones

Jones, along with humanitarian chef

, were the first recipients of what Bezos is calling his Courage and Civility Award. While the press seemed surprised by Bezos' announcement, Jones was not, as he revealed that Bezos called him a few days prior to tell him the news and explained to why Jones was chosen.

Van Jones thanked Jeff Bezos for the opportunity to do good

Van Jones smiling

Chef José Andrés

José Andrés Speaking Engagements, Schedule, & Fee | WSB

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@MorningLover,

Thank you for these great pictures! She is one of my very favorite people

ever!

My grandkids get her imagination library books.

She is probably my favorite singer too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Re: Go Dolly Parton!

[ Edited ]

Sorry @Kachina624 and @Chrystaltree  I diidn't realize this was was a recurring charity donation from Bezos and the purpose was to name an overseer of the distributions.  Dolly will be a great one to give good care to this wonderful donation.  She is a true humanitarian and has done great things.  Truly a uique person.  I guess I am out of touch. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Citrine1   I don't think it's a "prize" where she is to keep the money...I read that it was awarded to her to distribute as she would like to various causes.

That's a lot of work, and I am excited to see what she does with it.  

Yes, that makes a lot of sense @CAcableGirl2 .  Thanks for explaining.  I realized my comment was stupid as soon as I posted it.  

Honored Contributor

Dolly Parton Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It's nice to see Bezos becoming more charitable.  

Esteemed Contributor

It is well established that Bezos, Warren Buffet, Bezo's former wife and some other extremely wealthy Americans made a pact to give away a lot of their wealth over time.  There are loads of stories about this on the internet.  If I'm not mistaken the former Mrs. Bezos has just given away some of her wealth recently too.

I believe this pact also includes Bill and Melinda Gates.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life