Honored Contributor

Re: Glad I raised a family yours ago--

@JobGirl wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeasonedCitizen wrote:

Point well taken--stopped posting years ago because I didn't want to put a caveat on every posting. I realize we don't all have the same views but I mistakenly thought we could express what we thought without offending others. If you really read what I posted you will notice I wasn't critizing anyone for their lifestyle.

@SeasonedCitizen, I wasn't offended in the least. I just disagree and posted my view.

I get so tired of posters who can't handle differing POV, calmly stated.  The only one who is "offended" is the poster who doesn't like hearing that not everyone agrees with them. Gets old.

Tastes, habits, likes/dislikes change and evolve with every generation. The handbasket hasn't arrived at its final destination yet.

Seems to me those that criticize aboutothers having ' tolerance"  are the most intolerant of anyone who doesn't accept their view and automatically throw some label or other at you-

LOL. Disagreement and a different POV are not being intolerant, or preventing anyone from expressing themselves. But there are posters who consider every plain and simple different POV or non-agreement to be "intolerant" and "unaccepting."

The latter? Well - not everyone is going to "accept" all POV. That's what discussion forums are - discussions, that include the different POV of different people. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I do not think SeasonedCitizen is ruing the disappearance of fine china and crystal so much as she is missing the family meal with the presence of several generations.  And yes, these meals often happened after religious services when folks were wearing their best clothing and the finest tableware and cutlery were used for dining.  

Yes, the better tableware was brought out often for these family gatherings, be they weekly or on special occasions.  It's odd, but Seasoned's email followed a recent one in which a poster was wondering what to do with her fine china, etc., because her children were not interested in it.  After I read that post, the thoughts that flashed into my mind were the family dinners we had when I was growing up.  Because my mother left her hometown and her large extended family when she married, we traveled -- and traveled often -- to attend all the special-occasion affairs.

As for our immediate family and friends, my parents often had neighbors and those belonging to our particular ethnic group in from nearby towns.  Many times my mother put out her good china and silver, but many times, too, she used her Corelle.  The food was great, and we all had a wonderful time no matter which plates we ate from.

Also, the truth is that there are few places to grow up these days where a child does not have to be monitored to protect her from someone with evil intent.  Many of my generation really did leave the house and stay out most of the day, returning only for a quick bit of lunch and then supper.  When the lights on our boulevard went on, we all dispersed to our homes for the night.

Do I love my millennial children who are not materialistic and are pretty much without prejudices -- yes!

@golding76 I love your post in every way. I believe you captured the intent of the OP and beautifully summarized my experience growing up. I keep my family close but not tied down, so to speak. We all have devices, heck I am using one now, but exercise self restraint. We have no devices at the dinner table or in use when eating out. I explained my viewpoint that this shows respect for your companions, other diners, and the occasion. As new technology appears at the speed of light, learning how to use it productively and with respect for others is a balancing act.

Valued Contributor

I think it can be like anything else people use or save for special occasions

it can make a dinner or a holdiay feel more "special" 

It can sometimes create or perhaps spark a  special memory of someone no longer celebrating with us

For some it can be more than or isn't always just about a piece of china or silver etc

Honored Contributor

Back in the 80s it was difficult to have family mealtimes with the extracurricular activities of two sons.  It's nothing new.  

I am am glad I didn't have to deal with social media and cellphones though:/

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@JobGirl wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeasonedCitizen wrote:

Point well taken--stopped posting years ago because I didn't want to put a caveat on every posting. I realize we don't all have the same views but I mistakenly thought we could express what we thought without offending others. If you really read what I posted you will notice I wasn't critizing anyone for their lifestyle.

@SeasonedCitizen, I wasn't offended in the least. I just disagree and posted my view.

I get so tired of posters who can't handle differing POV, calmly stated.  The only one who is "offended" is the poster who doesn't like hearing that not everyone agrees with them. Gets old.

Tastes, habits, likes/dislikes change and evolve with every generation. The handbasket hasn't arrived at its final destination yet.

Seems to me those that criticize aboutothers having ' tolerance"  are the most intolerant of anyone who doesn't accept their view and automatically throw some label or other at you-

LOL. Disagreement and a different POV are not being intolerant, or preventing anyone from expressing themselves. But there are posters who consider every plain and simple different POV or non-agreement to be "intolerant" and "unaccepting."

The latter? Well - not everyone is going to "accept" all POV. That's what discussion forums are - discussions, that include the different POV of different people. 

i totally agree with you @Moonchilde.

i stated my opinion, along with why i did not agree with the original poster. i dont see families today as "in trouble" and i dont long for the "good old days." there is plenty to love about these days. i dont believe the family is disintegrating due to electronic devices, or women out in the workforce more, or any other excuse people may have. we just took a family vacation and it included my adult children AND my mom.  have  family dynamics changed?.....yes, over the years........for the worse?.....no.

just because people have different views doesnt mean that anyone was arguing with the original posted. if you dont want other opinions or disagreeing opinions then this is the wrong place to be posting.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My 33 year old son is a millennial and he was raised with the china, silver and crystal and would not spend 1 cent on it. The only fine thing he wants from us is our grandfather clock. Technology is their thing and their future, although I don't want to see a phone by his side when we have dinner together and he knows it. I think if you raise your kids to be respectful and you tell them what is expected, technology will not ruin them and they will teach their own children well. Technology should not replace family time.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

My 33 year old son is a millennial and he was raised with the china, silver and crystal and would not spend 1 cent on it. The only fine thing he wants from us is our grandfather clock. Technology is their thing and their future, although I don't want to see a phone by his side when we have dinner together and he knows it. I think if you raise your kids to be respectful and you tell them what is expected, technology will not ruin them and they will teach their own children well. Technology should not replace family time.

i personally think that technology has ENHANCED our family time. i am more in touch with my mom and children than ever before, at any time of the day......from little things to big things. i can see a photo instantly, i can hear a voice instantly, i can read a thought instantly, i can get a smile instantly.......i dont have to wait an hour, a day, a week, a month, or a year. i can be in touch with my family all over the world at a moments notice......and i LOVE that.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Back in the 80s it was difficult to have family mealtimes with the extracurricular activities of two sons.  It's nothing new.  

I am am glad I didn't have to deal with social media and cellphones though:/

Mealtimes were tough sometimes.

A lot of times meals were "shared" in the car.  LOL

Honored Contributor

I am 62 and when my Dad passes away I will be taking all of the Hummels and the set of Norikake china and other assorted collectibles to the local consignment shop.

I have been married for 25 years and have enough of my own stuff also we will "downsize" when we retire and relocate.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@q-girl wrote:

Hmmm. . . I am 60 yrs. old and have been married for 36 yrs. I have never owned nor wanted china, crystal or silver.  I have  never wanted or had a formal dining room.  I do not, however, find any of this old fashioned, stuffy, silly, useless, or wrong in any way. It's just not what is comfortable, warm and/or cozy to me. I would rather have a large great room with a big, open country kitchen. It's what I've dreamed of since way before "open concept" was made popular on all the Home and Decorating shows. Presently, and for the past 27 yrs. we've lived in a smaller town house that gives me a sort of mini version of my dream home.

My decorating style is sort of cabin chic. We love the outdoors, animals and nature, and that is reflected in every room in our home. What works for me is Stoneware, mugs, and stainless steel. My things are nice and they go together, but they are not matchy-matchy.

To each his own. You need to be happy and content in your space.

Hugs. . .

@q-girl  Excuse me but " I do not, however, find any of this old fashioned, stuffy, silly, useless, or wrong in any way"?  I'd say your descriptive words say you find it VERY "wrong."  Don't you think?  Stuffy?  Silly?  Useless?