Super Contributor

Glad I raised a family yours ago--

I read an article on Yahoo the other day that said that Goodwill has a glut of china, crystal and silver--the 12 place settings, etc because the millenials aren't interested in them. I feel sorry for the families today where electronics are at the table and used during meals, kids can't play outdoors without supervision because of predators, and they don't ever learn how to set a table where people feel relaxed enough to want to sit and talk and know what others in the family are experiencing at whatever age level they're at. I have women in often for lunch where we do pot luck for silly days and always someone asks me which side the silverware goes next to the plate. I am so sorry so many are missing so much good family times--

Honored Contributor

Re: Glad I raised a family yours ago--

just because the younger generation may not want old crystal, china, and silver, doesnt mean that they are not having good, close famiyly time together. priorities and times have changed and evolved.  i cant speak for anyone elses family, but my kids are close with me, their dad, their grandmother, and lots of other family members. we visit each other, spend time in their homes, go out together, vacation together.......and we still manage to have cell phones, televisions, computers, and other electronic devices.

NO......we are NOT going to hell in a handbasket.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Sorry I didn't proof read the title--should be "years" ago. Not good for an old teacher.

Honored Contributor

I really doubt that the disinterest in 12-piece table settings means that it's not as good time to raise a family as in days of yore.

Every generation bemoans societal changes and sees them as destructive. I tend to think that it's one way to feel less fear and desperation about what is a seemingly more rapid road to the end.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

just because the younger generation may not want old crystal, china, and silver, doesnt mean that they are not having good, close famiyly time together. priorities and times have changed and evolved.  i cant speak for anyone elses family, but my kids are close with me, their dad, their grandmother, and lots of other family members. we visit each other, spend time in their homes, go out together, vacation together.......and we still manage to have cell phones, televisions, computers, and other electronic devices.

@sunshine45, jinx, I owe you a Coke. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

Agreed @sunshine45 crystal and china is not to everyone's liking. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I don't necessarily think setting a table with china has anything to do with raising a close, loving family. 

People have different priorities nowadays - china and crystal probably aren't one of them.

I'd rather travel and spend quality time with my family over china and crystal any day of the week. 

I do appreciate a nicely set table, but it has nothing to do with anything how families are being raised today.

Honored Contributor

I was in high school "with" Elvis and college "with" the Beetles.  Both at the time were thought to be marking the end of world culture. 

Things have changed, but good families are still good families even though the younger generations don't want their particular material goodies.

I don't even want a whole lot of what I've collected over the last 60 years.  Why would they want it.

Super Contributor

Point well taken--stopped posting years ago because I didn't want to put a caveat on every posting. I realize we don't all have the same views but I mistakenly thought we could express what we thought without offending others. If you really read what I posted you will notice I wasn't critizing anyone for their lifestyle.

Honored Contributor

@SeasonedCitizen wrote:

Point well taken--stopped posting years ago because I didn't want to put a caveat on every posting. I realize we don't all have the same views but I mistakenly thought we could express what we thought without offending others. If you really read what I posted you will notice I wasn't critizing anyone for their lifestyle.

@SeasonedCitizen, I wasn't offended in the least. I just disagree and posted my view.