Honored Contributor

Today is "Giving Tuesday", the day that was designated for an abundance of giving to  charitable non-profits.   I notice in the emails we get from Christian charities that  groups are blowing way past their goals, and are deeply appreciative and gratified.

I have no doubt that all non-profits, secular, medical, faith-based and others, are the objects of great bounty today.  (I know, I know, giving isn't restricted to one day, and people give every day of the year.)  But it's so wonderful to observe this turbo-charged sharing and giving, and just wanted to recognize that...

Great going, American givers!

Honored Contributor

I personally don't need to be told when to give. I have several charities I give to on a regular basis and don't need a special day to do it. After talking to friends, I know I'm not the only one.

Trusted Contributor

i have a few “favorite” charities i give to regularly, but i still appreciate giving tuesday, and i do give. it’s nice to set aside a day which focuses on giving. hopefully it will also serve as a small reminder of how much we are blessed, and that it’s a blessing also, to share. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Giving Tuesday

[ Edited ]

Advent starts this week end. For us, this is a  special time of  giving to others .

We already have giving trees set up in our Gathering Space.

It's nice to know we are still a generous nation

Honored Contributor

But, @Love my grandkids, aren't you thrilled that, for whatever reason, overall giving is up today?   In my view, it is a blessing, as @freakygirl so aptly puts it.

Honored Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

i have a few “favorite” charities i give to regularly, but i still appreciate giving tuesday, and i do give. it’s nice to set aside a day which focuses on giving. hopefully it will also serve as a small reminder of how much we are blessed, and that it’s a blessing also, to share. 

Nicely stated.  A corporation was matching all donations to my favorite charity today, so a double blessing!

Honored Contributor

Re: Giving Tuesday

[ Edited ]

The reason some people tend to donate this time of year vs any other time of year has to do with taxes.  This is the time of year when people get word from their financial advisors with recommendations on things they need to do, including donations for tax purposes.

For example, I am the acting president of my HOA.  I got an email from our financial advisor a few weeks ago about moving our cash to a CD and a reminder to request payment of bills earlier in the month so that they come out of the 2017 budget.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I didn't see this thread as telling anyone to give outside of their own comfort zone-many of us give throughout the year but at this time of year we do see many more organizations than we see during the rest of the year.

For me it's nice to know about other places to give/donate/volunteer.  It doesn't diminish anything I do all year. 

Most people are generous and give what they can; even a few dollars or a few cans of soup can make a world of difference to the recipient(s).

@Oznell  Thank you for your post; we need many more uplifting stories especially now.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Cakers.  There are all kinds of generosity in the world, and it's lovely to see any and all amplifications of them.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I think it's a nice reminder for those who may not wish to or be able to give to charity on a regular basis. I'm sure many are benefitting from it and that is a good thing.